Sign in with
Your question

Is this memory interchangeable?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
August 20, 2012 11:15:44 PM

Hello,
I am 72 yrs old and this is my first rebuild. My motherboard is an ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 V2.0. The tech that originally built it put in one stick of Buffalo Select PC2 5300U-555,
1 GB 667/MHz CL5,
2Rx8 DDR2 SDRAM
240 pin
Non ECC Unbuffered.

I have pulled 2 sticks on RAM from my DELL:
ESM Memory, 1 GB ea DDR2 667/5300, 16c/64X8 240 pin.

I cannot find out if these are interchangable. Or should I just spring for a new set?

I have installed a new CPU AMD Phenom X3 8500; and am going to up grade XP to Win 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : memory interchangeable

August 20, 2012 11:33:10 PM

Before going out and spending money, give the Dell sticks a try. The worst that can happen is that the computer won't boot up.
m
l
August 20, 2012 11:42:11 PM

Thanks. The only notable difference I can see is one says 5300U and the other just 5300; plus one is 16c/64X8 and the other is 2Rx8 and I can't find any information regarding what the difference might be.

I have learned so much from this forum, I absolutely love it. This is my first post.

Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 12:15:25 AM

Let us know if it works. Are you replacing the original stick of memory or adding to it?
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:35:31 AM

If it will work I was going to replace the one stick of 1 GB with the two 1 GB sticks from my Dell since they are matched.

I am waiting for my new CPU to arrive and I will post the results in case it might help someone else.

The tech that installed the motherboard did not lock down the CPU in the AM2+ socket. I was going to reset it with some new Arctic Silver and the CPU and heatsink/cooling fan came up as one unit and the pins on the CPU got bent. As hard as I tried, there was no fixing it. It's OK because I ordered a much better one to replace it.

m
l
August 21, 2012 12:37:10 AM

Tackling this one-piece at a time, hoping the MB is not fried. I did not realize the PSU fan had quit until one morning the computer would only try to start then shut back down.

First replacement was the PSU with an Antec 500W Green. Next is the CPU and will probably install the old memory for first boot try.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:30:24 AM

MB is probably okay.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:31:41 AM

Gma T said:
If it will work I was going to replace the one stick of 1 GB with the two 1 GB sticks from my Dell since they are matched.

I am waiting for my new CPU to arrive and I will post the results in case it might help someone else.

The tech that installed the motherboard did not lock down the CPU in the AM2+ socket. I was going to reset it with some new Arctic Silver and the CPU and heatsink/cooling fan came up as one unit and the pins on the CPU got bent. As hard as I tried, there was no fixing it. It's OK because I ordered a much better one to replace it.

Hope the 2 replacement memory sticks will work for you. especially if you're going to run Windows 7.
m
l
!