Motherboard shorting out after new CPU cooler install

gopackgo28

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hi all,

Currently, when I turn my PC off, the power LED on the front is no longer lit. To get the PC to turn back on after shutting down, I have to turn off the PSU at the switch, hold the PC power button down to drain the power and then switch the PSU back on and hit the power switch. Obviously, something is not quite right.

After doing some troubleshooting, I've found that the new CPU cooler I installed (Coolermaster V8) has a backing place which attaches to the bottom of the motherboard to hold it in place. The nuts that hold this plate on are just barely touching the motherboard mounting plate in my case (Coolermaster HAF 922).

My question is: what can I do to stop this from occuring? Is it possible to put a piece of card between the plate and the CPU nuts, or can I purchase some slightly longer motherboard standoffs and raise the motherboard?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Sam

EDIT: Sorry about the original post, must have got a bit too excited and submitted it early...!

gopackgo28

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hi scout_03,

Apologies, should have mentioned that! I have a Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge LGA1155 CPU, and I am using the correct bracket for the LGA1155 socket as per the instructions that came with the cooler.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
on the site they show for the 1156 but you could try a tiny rubber grommet glue on the nut to prevent short and if it more easy glue that to the case also a velcro piece on the case side or the one we use for chair legs or table at the dollar store

gopackgo28

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

The box says that it supports the LGA1155 CPU (I made sure before I bought!).

I have some felt which would probably work I would say. Putting a piece of rubber between the nut and the case sounds like a better solution however. I'll give it a go!

Thanks for your help scout, I'm hoping I'll be able to turn off my PC without having to drain all it's power soon!

Cheers,
Sam