Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade time? Q6600 >> i5/i7

Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2011 5:22:13 PM

Hi guys,

I'm the type of person that upgrades my rig simply to upgrade... so it's sort of a bad thing, hahaha. I've kept myself off the full rig build for the last few years but think it may be time for an upgrade. I've upgraded a few components over the last few years and I'll be recycling those.

I use the computer for video editing (for fun, not for work) and music production (again, for fun, not work). Aside from that, I do some gaming (just TF2 and BF3 atm). I think the i5 will be good enough, but don't mind spending a few bucks more on the i7 to simply have the latest and greatest (I'm one of those people... haha)

Here is my build and planned upgrades. Once I've made a decision, I'll start choosing components.

Quad Core Q6600 with P45 chipset -> Upgrade to i5/i7
8gb DDR2 Ram -> Must upgrade since DDR3 is the standard with the new chips
WD Black drives in mirror Raid -> Reuse
Sapphire HD5850 -> Reuse
650watt Antec PSU -> Upgrade to whatever is needed for the new rig
DVDR/BDR drives -> Recycle

Just purchased a 24" ASUS LED Monitor and I'll reuse the Logitech Kboard/Gaming mouse I have

If I don't get up building the new rig, I'll just end up with a new rifle (hahaha). What's your opinions on the matter?

More about : upgrade time q6600

November 18, 2011 5:33:57 PM

jkchang626 said:
Hi guys,

I'm the type of person that upgrades my rig simply to upgrade... so it's sort of a bad thing, hahaha. I've kept myself off the full rig build for the last few years but think it may be time for an upgrade. I've upgraded a few components over the last few years and I'll be recycling those.

I use the computer for video editing (for fun, not for work) and music production (again, for fun, not work). Aside from that, I do some gaming (just TF2 and BF3 atm). I think the i5 will be good enough, but don't mind spending a few bucks more on the i7 to simply have the latest and greatest (I'm one of those people... haha)

Here is my build and planned upgrades. Once I've made a decision, I'll start choosing components.

Quad Core Q6600 with P45 chipset -> Upgrade to i5/i7
8gb DDR2 Ram -> Must upgrade since DDR3 is the standard with the new chips
WD Black drives in mirror Raid -> Reuse
Sapphire HD5850 -> Reuse
650watt Antec PSU -> Upgrade to whatever is needed for the new rig
DVDR/BDR drives -> Recycle

Just purchased a 24" ASUS LED Monitor and I'll reuse the Logitech Kboard/Gaming mouse I have

If I don't get up building the new rig, I'll just end up with a new rifle (hahaha). What's your opinions on the matter?

2500k is plenty for gaming. Spend the money you saved on a faster cpu on a new vid card
Get a Crucial 120 gb Mu SSD for a boot drive Use the WD's for data.
Sell the 5850 and buy a 7850 when they come out (maybe next month)
You won't need to upgrade your psu.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
November 18, 2011 6:15:13 PM

The area where the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K really shows its value is in the areas of audio/video creation. So if all you were going to be doing was gaming I would say to go with the Intel Core i5-2500K but since you are going to be doing the audio/video work you should find that the Intel Core i7-2600K would yeild better performance for you. Also make sure that you match it up with a Z68 board with the Lucidlugix Virtu software on it to help with application that can run better with the Intel Quick Sync.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2011 6:18:18 PM

Thanks guys. I'll wait til Black Friday (probably no crazy deals for these components) and see what I build. I'll keep the graphics card suggestion in mind. I'm running BF3 at 1920x1080 in HIGH and it's fine. I think the card should last until the next series comes out in a year or two. I'll decide on the i5/i7 based on the price benefit. I know the additional cores and quick sync only benefit those that do tons of rendering projects. I do them on occassion and leave them over night anyhow, so I won't truly see the benefit up front.
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:05:58 PM

So I made the jump and upgraded with:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Intel Core i5-2500K w/ Zalman cooler
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB x2 (4 4gb chips)

The rest are recycled components from a 2008 build.

2 2tb WD Black drives in Raid 0
Samsung 60gb SSD for Smart Response

So far, so good! Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. It's good to be away from the Abit mobo too... apparently there were some failing components on the board itself causing ghost failures (sata port was bad, not a drive amongst other things).

Thanks for the input guys! :D 
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:11:00 PM

first look at this q6600 at 3.2ghz gives 95% performance of i5 2500k

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2667...

now at stock speed i5 2500k is the best processor for gaming and after overcloking it to 4.5ghz it will give supreme performance

yes moving towards new series is always good

i5 2500k is very best option now days get a good gpu like ati 6950 or nvidia gtx 560ti for supreme gaming
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:23:12 PM

pell380 said:
first look at this q6600 at 3.2ghz gives 95% performance of i5 2500k

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2667...

now at stock speed i5 2500k is the best processor for gaming and after overcloking it to 4.5ghz it will give supreme performance

yes moving towards new series is always good

i5 2500k is very best option now days get a good gpu like ati 6950 or nvidia gtx 560ti for supreme gaming

It's been a few years so that's why I made the jump. Based on the benchmarks provided, the increases seems tiny, but the Smart Response w/ the SSD is making quite a difference. I just have to make a few chioces in regards to a graphics upgrade in the near future. I still have to read up on Lucid Virtu and see what it's all about. I haven't been keeping up with everything, haha.
m
l
!