wxga vs wsxga vs wuxga for text?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 3:11:55 AM

Considering a new notebook and like the idea of being able to view a couple
of documents at once (my desktop unit has 2 monitors, 17"lcd and 19" crt
both at 1280x1024, so I am kind of spoiled). I've noticed a few 15.4" wuxga
notebooks advertised and am wondering if they are just too small. Or is
something like a 17" wsxga more realistic for actually reading documents. I
also noticed on google that some people don't like the dell wuxga's for text
so I was also wondering who currently has the better displays or which ones
to avoid if going the high definition route.

TIA
F.Plant

More about : wxga wsxga wuxga text

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 12:08:24 PM

In article <bQcMe.9915$kz6.489147@news20.bellglobal.com>, F. Plant
<spam@spam.spam> wrote: >Considering a new notebook and like the idea of
being able to view a couple >of documents at once (my desktop unit has 2
monitors, 17"lcd and 19" crt >both at 1280x1024, so I am kind of spoiled).
I've noticed a few 15.4" wuxga >notebooks advertised and am wondering if
they are just too small. Or is >something like a 17" wsxga more realistic
for actually reading documents. I >also noticed on google that some
people don't like the dell wuxga's for text >so I was also wondering who
currently has the better displays or which ones >to avoid if going the
high definition route. > >TIA >F.Plant > >

I have a Dell I6000 with a 15.4" WUXGA and use it primarily for
reading/editing text. Most text-manipulation tools have zoom settings or
similar, so the higher resolution can easily mean 'more pixels per
character' rather than 'more characters per screen'.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous

"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
> In article <bQcMe.9915$kz6.489147@news20.bellglobal.com>, snip
> I have a Dell I6000 with a 15.4" WUXGA and use it primarily for
> reading/editing text. Most text-manipulation tools have zoom settings or
> similar, so the higher resolution can easily mean 'more pixels per
> character' rather than 'more characters per screen'.

Thanks for the reply, just wondering about a couple of things. First off
how do you find the quality of the dell screen. i noticed there are some
complaints about the sparkliness or blurriness of the dell wuxga. Secondly
when you are doing text, how do you find it if you try to display 2 word
docs side by side so you can see the full body of each page (w/o header and
footer)? If I put 2 pages on my 17" lcd @1280x1024 it seems not too bad,
but then again its not a 15.4 widesceen so it does have more height even
though its fewer lines of pixels. Lastly how do you find the battery life
on the 6000 -IIRC they have 2 sizes.

TIA
F.Plant
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 8:41:44 PM

In article <ncsMe.7239$7R.442804@news20.bellglobal.com>,
F. Plant <spam@spam.spam> wrote:
>First off
>how do you find the quality of the dell screen. i noticed there are some
>complaints about the sparkliness or blurriness of the dell wuxga.

I haven't noticed any problems with sparkles on my I6000. The only
blurriness issues I've seen are related to the rescaling of bitmaps done
by Internet Explorer, they aren't hardware issues.

http://www.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/userhr/
http://www.mschaef.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/tech/general...

Rescaling isn't troubling enough that I've bothered to take the time to
turn it off.

>Secondly
>when you are doing text, how do you find it if you try to display 2 word
>docs side by side so you can see the full body of each page (w/o header and
>footer)?

It works okay that way, although I usually use the additional width for
things like the Office stylebar, document map, etc. In truth, if you
expect to work with multiple documents on the same screen often, you'll
likely want more display size.

> Lastly how do you find the battery life
>on the 6000 -IIRC they have 2 sizes.

With the bigger battery I get around 3-4 hours.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
!