Connect 2 Bridged Xbox 360's thru System Link

WackyWormer

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
We've got 2 Xbox 360's, 2 computers with wireless adapters, and a Linksys wireless router. Both the Xbox's are hardwired to the computers, and the Xbox connection is bridges with the computer's wireless connection. Xbox Live works perfectly on both XBox's. I can use the System Link to create a game on one Xbox, and see the game on the other Xbox, but when my friend tries to join the game, nothing happens for about 30 seconds, and then a message pops up saying the game lobby has been closed. All this while my Xbox, the one that created the game, is working fine and no error messages. How can I resolve this?

wilsonb

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

I have the exact same problem.
I have two routers. One UsRobotics and the other Buffalo. Both have DD-wrt
Internet is not in this network.

The Buffalo is set up as DHCP. When hardwired to either one, I can get to either Router Webpage.

But I still get the exact above problem.

I followed these instructions;
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

(directed at the OP, didn't realize this was an old thread)

Are the connections truly just bridged (as in, you went to Network Connections, selected both the wireless and XBOX connection, right clicked, and selected Bridge Connections), *or* did you setup an indirect bridge using ICS (Internet Connection Services). While ICS create a bridge as part of its build process, it does a lot more, such as route, establish a DHCP server, and a firewall. I have seen ppl mistakenly use ICS to establish bridges when in fact they should have simply created a bridge as I initially described. To use ICS instead would be overkill and create real problems due to the firewall.

Just taking a guess.

That sounds to me as if you simply misconfigured your client bridge (easy to do if you're not familiar with it). Also, make sure it really is "Client Bridge" and not "Client", big difference (even though the instructions at dd-wrt don't really make that clear, they suggest using the latter if the former fails, which is bad advice).

Is this a closed network? IOW, no internet access is possible? I just want to know if ALL access fails across the bridges (including Internet), or only that between the XBOXs.

wilsonb

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Thanks for the responses.

Here is more details;

What I want to do:
I have been trying to connect two neighbors Xboxes together WITHOUT wires to play games using local Xbox SystemLink.

Problem:
They connect and when playing games, one starts server the other see it. When trying to join, there is a 30 seconds, and then a message pops up saying the game lobby has been closed. Tried different games. Plugging both cat5 direct in Primary router, it works.

My hardware:
1X Buffalo-wli-tx4-g54hp (Primary using DHCP)192.168.1.1 plugged into Xbox
1X Us Robotics-USR5461 (Secondary Client Bridged) 192.168.1.2 Plugged into Xbox
Both have DD-WRT V24-SP2
They are right now next to each other for configuring. No internet or other equip in equation.

I followed these instructions;
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
Firewall turned off- only "Filter Multicast" checked.
This might be Xbox specific..

Based on the fact that you can see the other XBOX and see the game, but only fail when attempting to join, that suggests your network configuration is correct. There's no obvious reason why wired and wireless clients of the same router/AP should not work. The only thing I can guess is maybe the XBOX is doing some sort of analysis of the network (speed, MTU size, etc.) and deciding it can't run based on that analysis. IOW, the problem resides in the XBOX itself, not your network configuration per se (or only to the extent the XBOX doesn't like it). I don't own an XBOX, but a quick search of Google does show numerous circumstances under which a join will fail w/ the same message. And granted, most of the time these are connections over the Internet (certainly more problematic), I just don't know what kind of analysis the XBOX might be doing in a LOCAL ONLY connection that could result in failure merely because it's using wireless.

fredujour

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

I have 2 phat console hook on the mad catz wifi adapter...

I am able to go on live and to access files from my computer.

When I try to join a game in the lobby I can see my girlfriend but I am unable to join...

If anybody know how either to setup the router please advise DIR-615

wilsonb

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

I was able to get this working with the two routers (With open firmware)
I had problems using Bridged. Used static IP's