Created a new partition upon install. Now the remainder is gone.

flor4

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi folks,

I created a new partition upon a brand new Win 7 install. I have a 750 gb HD. Out of the 750, I created a 100 gig partition for the OS (or so I thought). Windows installed just fine, however, My Computer only sees the 100 gig partition, where the windows was installed. I should roughly have 650 gigs left, on a different partition but it is nowhere to be found.

What are my options? This is my first Win 7 install. Do I need to reinstall from scratch....?

I remember with Win XP it was so easy to create partitions upon new installs.

Thanks!

Its the same on 7 as XP.

Hit up disk management.

Right click "Computer" and select Manage

For there you should see one called Disk Management(Under Storage).(you can even just search "partition" in the start search and get to disk management)

From there, you can turn the unallocated space into what ever partitions you need(New simple volume).

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Is there a partition on the other 650GB? Because if there's not then the operating system isn't going to see it. If you put a 100GB partition on a brand new hard drive then you're going to need to to partition the rest of the space to make use of it.

To make a new partition in Windows 7 go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management. In Disk Management you should be able to see your hard drive (with its 100GB partition) at the bottom and there you can add another partition (make sure you use NTFS). I don't remember exactly how to do it (I'm on a macbook right now) but it should be pretty straight forward.

If you only created one 100gig partition, you can't expect to see any others that were never created. It's not going to assume you want another partition there during setup, it just did what you asked, created a 100gig partition for you. You need to follow the steps above to create a new one, but there was nothing wrong with what Windows setup did.