Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX | Boots for half a second, then fails

Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2011 8:36:46 AM

I received a SuperCombo from NewEgg on Monday, August 15th. I set it up and built it, in my standards finely, and it boot up just fine, all default drivers that came with the combo installed successfully. Problems started occurring at about after an hour of use. The computer would occasionally freeze up for about 3 minutes, making any actions other than moving my mouse unresponsive. Boot times have exponentially increased, having boot times of around 5 minutes at times, though originally it took under a minute to get into Window's main desktop.

The Graphics Card seems to be incompatible with all ATI drivers other than the default driver it came with, so I could not update it at all or it would of gave me a Blue Screen of Death. After having this, I would just reinstall the default driver.

Enabling any settings that would overclock my CPU in the BIOS would prevent my computer from booting further than the motherboard's splash screen, giving an error that reads something along the lines of "FAILED TO OVERCLOCK COMPUTER".

Just last morning at around 8pm with about an hour of usage, I was browsing the internet, then all of a sudden, my computer completely shuts off, with the POWER LED still green, but everything off. No sounds came from it when it shut down, and no smell was emitted.

Everything powers up with the CPU_LED lit up red, including the fans and gpu, when the power isn't connected to the CPU. When you connect the power to the CPU and turn it on, all the fans power on for less than a quarter of a second, the CPU_LED flashes red, and instantly shuts off. Pressing the power again will not make it do anything, but if you re-enable the switch on the PSU, it happens again.

I panicked and try several methods to try to fix it. Here is what I have done:

Tried powering my motherboard with other PSU's. Theirs' worked.
Tried powering other motherboards with my PSU. Mine failed.
Resetting CMOS
Re-inserting RAM
Testing with and without RAM/GPU
Bread-boarding
Reinserting CPU
Went to Fry's and borrowed the same processor, inserted, same results.

This is my first post but I really need this working, and it's a weekend so an RMA will use up maximum time.
I've already read the PERFORM THESE STEPS thread and everything in it, and none have resolved my problems.

Here are the components of the combo:

Spoiler
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE ...

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu-ray 3D feature SATA IHBS112-29 - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...
August 20, 2011 12:13:43 PM

Quote:
You just answered your own question..... 90% of problems usually stem from a cheap/bad psu.
m
l
August 20, 2011 4:35:30 PM

My bad, I meant the other way around.

Powering other motherboards would work with my PSU
powering my motherboard with other PSUs don't.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 11:31:18 AM

dylanraga said:
I received a SuperCombo from NewEgg on Monday, August 15th. I set it up and built it, in my standards finely, and it boot up just fine, all default drivers that came with the combo installed successfully. Problems started occurring at about after an hour of use. The computer would occasionally freeze up for about 3 minutes, making any actions other than moving my mouse unresponsive. Boot times have exponentially increased, having boot times of around 5 minutes at times, though originally it took under a minute to get into Window's main desktop.

The Graphics Card seems to be incompatible with all ATI drivers other than the default driver it came with, so I could not update it at all or it would of gave me a Blue Screen of Death. After having this, I would just reinstall the default driver.

Enabling any settings that would overclock my CPU in the BIOS would prevent my computer from booting further than the motherboard's splash screen, giving an error that reads something along the lines of "FAILED TO OVERCLOCK COMPUTER".

Just last morning at around 8pm with about an hour of usage, I was browsing the internet, then all of a sudden, my computer completely shuts off, with the POWER LED still green, but everything off. No sounds came from it when it shut down, and no smell was emitted.

Everything powers up with the CPU_LED lit up red, including the fans and gpu, when the power isn't connected to the CPU. When you connect the power to the CPU and turn it on, all the fans power on for less than a quarter of a second, the CPU_LED flashes red, and instantly shuts off. Pressing the power again will not make it do anything, but if you re-enable the switch on the PSU, it happens again.

I panicked and try several methods to try to fix it. Here is what I have done:

Resetting CMOS
Re-inserting RAM
Testing with and without RAM/GPU
Bread-boarding
Reinserting CPU
Went to Fry's and borrowed the same processor, inserted, same results.

This is my first post but I really need this working, and it's a weekend so an RMA will use up maximum time.
I've already read the PERFORM THESE STEPS thread and everything in it, and none have resolved my problems.

Here are the components of the combo:

Spoiler
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE ...

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu-ray 3D feature SATA IHBS112-29 - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...

dylanraga,
I believe I ran through the same scenario on troubleshooting you did for this Asus Sabertooth 990fx board. I attempted a bios update through the ASUS flash utility and ended up with a brick. My system was working before this so this is my lesson learned for this board or 990fx boards not to flash the bios unless the CPU is not recognized :heink: 

I too tried two power supplies, one a PC PowerCooling 750 watt and an Antec 500 w. The 750 watt created the situation you described; system powers up, fans run, but the "red cpu led" lights up. Reading some blogs here on TH, I bought a Sempron cpu to test the theory of older bios recovery and then flash to support an AMD FX 8150. None of these procedures have helped.

I have purchased a Gigabyte AM3+ board and if this is ok with either the FX (most exp cpu) or Sempron (cheap cpu), then I will stick with that and RMA the ASUS board. I will try to report back on what I found out with a new board for this thread if interested.

I have tried most solutions I know of like you but if someone has a different approach I would be willing to try it.

At this point, I hope ASUS can provide a warranty replacement, otherwise an expensive lesson in computing. :sweat: 
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:42:03 PM

I had already given up on this. I fixed it just by returning mine and getting a new one; lasted 3 days, not very tuf :c
m
l
January 25, 2012 4:08:19 PM

I did contact ASUS and they will be sending me a new "bios chip". Failing this fix from ASUS, I would have to RMA for new one. The tech I spoke to said "Yeah your new board would have the same issue LOL. For all the ceramic coating, temp zone monitoring, this mil grade spec board has a big Achilles heel.
m
l
January 26, 2012 3:46:03 AM

i'm not even sure why i stuck with this cpu and motherboard; i could of received an msi or intel motherboard with i7 or i5 which is a lot better at nearly the same price.
m
l
July 7, 2012 6:28:02 PM

My 990FX behaves in a similar manner. It didn't do it initially, but I accidentally hit enter on the aitweaker auto OC setting, and since then does this. Behavior seems to persist through cmos clears and bios updates, so I don't know where it's coming from.

To get it going again (an no, I don't have a cheap PSU, and it's 850W) cut all power to the system for about 30s. Increased success if you do a CMOS clear while you have the power cord out of the system. Plug it back in when done and it should fire up, and will report "overclocking failed! F1 for setup"

After that, it seems to work fine, but will occasionally put me the same state after a shut down. Not always, but sometimes.

Now, if I could only figure out why it keeps doing that...
m
l
!