Sign in with
Your question

Strange memory usage for dedicated PhysX card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2011 4:14:52 PM

Hello,

Edit : I've changed the location of this thread from the Nvidia to the Graphics Cards sub-category.

I think the title says it all. I've just come to realize that the memory usage of my PhysX card is always the same as that of my "primary" one.
I've got an MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk (for primary, obviously) and a GTS 250 (I know it's overkill for PhysX, but I had it lying around...why not use it ?).

Both cards have 1Gb of memory, though it's GDDR3 on the GTS 250 and GDDR5 on the GTX 560 Ti.

Whatever it is I run, be it Direct X9, 10, 11, OpenGL, Windows Aero etc, the memory usage is the same on both cards in MSI Afterburner. In the Nvidia control panel, I've setup the 250 for PhysX only.

Here is a picture of Afterburner and the memory usage in the Unigine Heaven Benchmark :

GPU usage for the GTS 250 in non-PhysX applications stays at 0%.

When I do the PhysX test in 3DMark11, the GPU usage for the 250 stays at 0%, only the 560 Ti seems to be working :

However, when I run the benchmark with FluidMark, my PhysX card is working, but so is my primary one. They both have the same memory usage :

So either there is something about PhysX I don't understand, or something is not working properly.
If anyone has a hint about that, it would be greatly appreciated. I found a similar thread on the EVGA forums, but there was no real answer, only other questions ! :) 

Thanks a lot,
al360ex
a c 144 U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 6:13:18 PM

3dmark11 does not use PhysX for it's physics test. instead the suite use Bullet engine to run the physic test. so the suite are not using your GTS250 as a dedicated card to calculate physics in the physics benchmark (since the the program need to use nvidia PhysX specifically to utilize the card as a dedicated physics card)
m
l
June 19, 2011 9:13:26 PM

renz496 said:
3dmark11 does not use PhysX for it's physics test. instead the suite use Bullet engine to run the physic test. so the suite are not using your GTS250 as a dedicated card to calculate physics in the physics benchmark (since the the program need to use nvidia PhysX specifically to utilize the card as a dedicated physics card)

Ok, thanks ! So if I understand correctly, this means that having a dedicated PhysX card has no effect whatsoever on the 3DMark11 score ? That's lame :) 

That leaves only one question unanswered : why is the memory of my PhysX card used when the card itself sits idle ?
m
l
!