What should I choose to upgrade processor or video card

evolutionprent

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Dear Tom's Hardware Community,

I need your help guys , what should i upgrade 1st processor or video card , I don't have enough money to upgrade my processor and video card at the same time

my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 AM2 socket 5200+
MSI-K9N6PGM2-V2
3.00 GB OF RAM
250 GB HDD
INNO3D GE-FORCE 9400GT

:hello: -evolutionprent- :hello:

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
You should monitor your CPU and video card usage and see which is higher. For example, if your CPU is working at 80-100% and your video card is only at 50%, upgrade the CPU first. What do you use this PC for?

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
The answer depends what you want to do with your computer. If its gaming you are doing then a decent video card will make the biggest difference but if you are into multimedia editing then I would change the processor. Even with gaming the best video card will depend on the resolution you will be running at but also be aware that powerful video cards use a lot of power (a 9400 is not what I would call a powerful video card) so you may get into a situation where your existing power supply may not have enough juice to handle a better card. I would usually suggest a power supply rated at around 500-550W for systems that will be running one decent graphics card(e.g. a GTX460 uses ~ 200-250W under load) so if your existing power supply is anything less than 450W you are probably going to be in trouble. In terms of a processor upgrade a 955 Phenom 2 would give you a decent all round boost. Your MB is pretty basic so don't spend a ton of money expecting to be able to overclock like crazy. 3 GB of ram is a bit unusual. Usually 2 x 2GB would probably work better - esp if you are running a 64 bit version of either Windows 7 or Vista. Good luck

wala

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
it depends, iif you are a gamer or a graphic artist then upgrade your video card, and if you are a internet surfer or an encoder only then upgrade your processor.