Your question

cpu not recognized, upgrade phen ii x 465 then switched to old cpu, still not r

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • BIOS
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2011 6:27:39 PM

Hi, I just changed the hard drive in wife's computer and had to reinstall the O/S. ya Im the hero. Then I got this idea to upgrade the CPU. i updated windows but not the BIOS. Chip not recognized. Read online to change back to old CPU upgrade BIOS then reinstall new CPU. OLD CPU NOT RECOGNIZED. I'm in trouble...its an HP with AMD. Is there a way to install the BIOS or I found an upgrade on line. Or is there a way to get into the boot and help it find the cpu? It wont boot in safe mode either.

More about : cpu recognized upgrade phen 465 switched cpu

a b à CPUs
November 18, 2011 7:13:48 PM

If you can't get a processor to recognize your motherboard is probably permanently hosed.

Your computer needs processing power in order to affect the BIOS chip and you don't have that without a processor recognized.

I doubt there is anyone that can tell you much different, though I do encourage you to look because I am not most well known for being a BIOS expert or anything.

You could try here for starters http://forums.techarena.in/motherboard-processor-ram/13...

In my experience, BIOSes are extremely touchy, even the tiniest thing can permanently break your motherboard. Stuff like a power loss during a BIOS update is guaranteed to turn it into a paperweight.
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:32:32 PM

Raiddinn said:
If you can't get a processor to recognize your motherboard is probably permanently hosed.

Your computer needs processing power in order to affect the BIOS chip and you don't have that without a processor recognized.

I doubt there is anyone that can tell you much different, though I do encourage you to look because I am not most well known for being a BIOS expert or anything.

You could try here for starters http://forums.techarena.in/motherboard-processor-ram/13...

In my experience, BIOSes are extremely touchy, even the tiniest thing can permanently break your motherboard. Stuff like a power loss during a BIOS update is guaranteed to turn it into a paperweight.

thank you for your help. not really what I wanted to hear but in the back of my mind thats what I thought. Wife wont be happy with that news or may the new computer she will demand will make her happy. You know the saying wifes not happy, NO ONES HAPPY.
thank you again for your response
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2011 8:23:26 PM

Slide in the new motherboard before she notices it isn't working.
m
l
!