Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fan plugs not fitting mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 21, 2012 4:43:55 AM

i am currently building my first PC,and my chords attached to my fans have 4 connectors, but are way bigger then the connectors on the Mobo. Is there plugs on the power supply or something im supposed to use then, or are they just not compatible?

More about : fan plugs fitting mobo

a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 4:49:45 AM

From your description, it sounds like those are Molex connectors, like this:



Or this



And yes, those are connected to your PSU, not your mobo.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 4:57:09 AM

Nic0s411 said:
Thats EXACTLY what they are. Where do i plug them into on my PSU...? I dont see any plugs on it...?

a PSU with no molex? :o 

what do you have and is it modular?
m
0
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 4:57:24 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
From your description, it sounds like those are Molex connectors, like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg/250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Or this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Molex_male_connector.jpg/800px-Molex_male_connector.jpg

And yes, those are connected to your PSU, not your mobo.

Thats EXACTLY what they are. Where do i plug them into on my PSU...? I dont see any plugs on it...?
m
0
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 5:00:48 AM

Nic0s411 said:
Thats EXACTLY what they are. Where do i plug them into on my PSU...? I dont see any plugs on it...?


What PSU is it? There should be at least 2-6 of those type to plug into. They're named Peripheral of HDD connectors for most PSU's.

Like the 4-Pin Molex here:

m
0
l
August 21, 2012 5:07:36 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
What PSU is it? There should be at least 2-6 of those type to plug into. They're named Peripheral of HDD connectors for most PSU's.

Like the 4-Pin Molex here:

http://i-am-fast.com/Pictures/power_connectors_atx.jpg

Its the Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply. It does have all those plugs. Which do i use for my Fan? (Also, If you help me with the rest of my wiring, I may be able to pay u via paypal $10-$20. I been building this thing for over 6 hours looking for help, and no one is willing to help. If you can i would be very thankful, because i paid over $1000 for this build.
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 5:13:22 AM

^Also there is 2 fans, both have 1 of each of the Plugs u posted on your first reply, a total of 2 each, 4 in all. 2 ones that look like something plugs into them, and 2 that looks like they plug into something. if that makes sense lol
m
0
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 5:13:47 AM

Nic0s411 said:
Its the Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply. It does have all those plugs. Which do i use for my Fan? (Also, If you help me with the rest of my wiring, I may be able to pay u via paypal $10-$20. I been building this thing for over 6 hours looking for help, and no one is willing to help. If you can i would be very thankful, because i paid over $1000 for this build.


No need to pay me, lol, and I'm not a "wiring" specialist anyway, but I may be able to help you out a bit.

As far as the fans and the PSU goes, there are a few 600W Corsair PSU's, so I don't know which one you're talking about, but the connector will look exactly like the 4 Pin Molex in that pic I posted above. It's there somewhere, I promise (probably at least 4 of them).
m
0
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 5:18:50 AM

Nic0s411 said:
^Also there is 2 fans, both have 1 of each of the Plugs u posted on your first reply, a total of 2 each, 4 in all. 2 ones that look like something plugs into them, and 2 that looks like they plug into something. if that makes sense lol


Yeah that makes sense. They're made that way so that you can "daisy-chain" them together using only one connector from the PSU.

The part that looks like "something plugs into them" is where the connector from the PSU goes, and the connector that looks like it "plugs into something" is what you use to plug one of the fans into the other fan that has the plug that "looks like something plugs into them".
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 5:36:18 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
No need to pay me, lol, and I'm not a "wiring" specialist anyway, but I may be able to help you out a bit.

As far as the fans and the PSU goes, there are a few 600W Corsair PSU's, so I don't know which one you're talking about, but the connector will look exactly like the 4 Pin Molex in that pic I posted above. It's there somewhere, I promises (probably at least 4 of them).

I got the 24 pin plugged into the MOBO. Now i have 6 cords left on the PSU. What Do I do With These? 4 are 4 slots, the rest are 6 pins and 0 pins (some flat thingys, idk)
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 5:40:39 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah that makes sense. They're made that way so that you can "daisy-chain" them together using only one connector from the PSU.

The part that looks like "something plugs into them" is where the connector from the PSU goes, and the connector that looks like it "plugs into something" is what you use to plug one of the fans into the other fan that has the plug that "looks like something plugs into them".

Alright sorry i dont understand this. So the second picture you uploaded plugs into the PSU, and then what do i do with the things in your first picture?
m
0
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 5:43:44 AM

Nic0s411 said:
I got the 24 pin plugged into the MOBO. Now i have 6 cords left on the PSU. What Do I do With These? 4 are 4 slots, the rest are 6 pins and 0 pins (some flat thingys, idk)


What mobo?

The only other thing to plug into the mobo is either the 4 pin (square) or 8/4+4 pin (rectangle) 12V connector. That connector should be located somewhere near the CPU socket.

The "flat" ones are the SATA connectors for your Hard Drive(s) and Optical drive.

The 6 pin (may also be 6+2) connectors are for you graphics card (if you have one).

That's should be all you need. Anything left over will just be unused.
m
0
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 5:46:52 AM

Nic0s411 said:
Alright sorry i dont understand this. So the second picture you uploaded plugs into the PSU, and then what do i do with the things in your first picture?


OK, plug the 4 Pin Molex PSU connectors (2 of them, 1 for each fan) from the pic I posted in the second post into the the connectors on the fans that look like the second pic in my first post (male into female).

Don't worry about the left over connectors on the fans. Like I said, they're just there to be able to connect them to each other and don't need to be used.
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 6:15:48 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
OK, plug the 4 Pin Molex PSU connectors (2 of them, 1 for each fan) from the pic I posted in the second post into the the connectors on the fans that look like the second pic in my first post (male into female).

Don't worry about the left over connectors on the fans. Like I said, they're just there to be able to connect them to each other and don't need to be used.

I just tried to power it up and nothing happend..?
m
0
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 6:33:41 AM

Nic0s411 said:
I just tried to power it up and nothing happend..?


Well, I'm just gonna be completely honest, I'm about to go to bed (gotta be up a bit early), but I would suggest making a new thread about that (probably in the morning, so it'll be seen), and someone will get back to you (may even be me, but it won't be until tomorrow afternoon, at the earliest).

Just make sure to re-check all of your connections and read the mobo manual (and any other manuals too) to be sure everything is in the right place(s).
m
0
l
!