Your question

GTX 260 possibly going into meltdown?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2011 6:12:00 PM

My computer has begun freezing up at inconvenient moments. Either whatever is on the screen at the moment will freeze, or the screen will go black. I can't use Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of this, only a hard shutdown will work. Usually this happens while playing a game, with three exceptions. On two occasions, I had alt-tabbed out of a game, and on one occasion I had just quit a game. One of the alt-tab crashes was particularly worrisome: white rectangles appeared all over the screen, blinked three times, and then the whole screen turned magenta.

I'm running Windows 7 Service Pack 1, and my video driver is up to date.

Is there any chance that this is a software problem of some sort, and not the imminent implosion of my video card? I'd really rather not replace the thing just now.

More about : gtx 260 possibly meltdown

June 17, 2011 6:42:20 PM

That sounds most likely a HDD problem as it happened to me before, the same way while playin' a video game, try runnin' a HD Diagnostic usin' a software from the same HD company and or try checkin' the disk for errors,
Go to run and type chkdsk [volume:][[Path] FileName] [/f], a Disk Defragment may also help,,

As for the GPU try uninstalling then reinstalling using the latest driver, you may also wanna try "RivaTuner" it's a software that allows you to overclock the GPU and control the Fan speed,,

The last thing it could be caused by a malware or system errors, i recommend Bitdefender for virus protection, PC tuneup.

Good Luck!

m
l
June 17, 2011 8:02:04 PM

As always: process of elimination. Test the components of your PC individually, until you find the faulty part. If non of them are faulty then it's a software problem. You can also go the other way around by doing a clean reinstall of your operating system first.
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2011 11:57:09 PM

Oddly enough, it appears to have been a problem with the sound driver. A friend suggested I try replacing it, and it seems to have worked. I had an up-to-date driver supplied by Windows Update, which I thought would be better than the motherboard manufacturer's driver from 2009. Turns out I was wrong.

Thanks for the assistance! :) 
m
l
June 19, 2011 1:23:57 PM

OK, so I spoke too soon. Everything was fine for a day and a half. This morning, another crash.

Gulli, you said to test the components individually. How would I go about doing that? The only way I know is to remove them, and there really isn't anything I can remove. The motherboard has onboard sound -- I could turn that off through the BIOS, but that's all. The only other components are the video card, CPU, motherboard, and hard drives, and the computer doesn't exactly run with any of those removed. And I'd need to run it for a significant length of time, playing games, since that's when these sporadic crashes happen.
m
l
June 19, 2011 6:43:13 PM

Djehuty said:
OK, so I spoke too soon. Everything was fine for a day and a half. This morning, another crash.

Gulli, you said to test the components individually. How would I go about doing that? The only way I know is to remove them, and there really isn't anything I can remove. The motherboard has onboard sound -- I could turn that off through the BIOS, but that's all. The only other components are the video card, CPU, motherboard, and hard drives, and the computer doesn't exactly run with any of those removed. And I'd need to run it for a significant length of time, playing games, since that's when these sporadic crashes happen.

Since it's probably the PSU I suggest you start there: swap your PSU with another one to test it (or bring it to a computer store and have them test it), next up would be the graphics card: just put it in another PC to test it. Also run a memory diagnostic tool to test RAM.
m
l
June 19, 2011 7:07:23 PM

When my gtx 260 died I had the pleasure of games blackening out and the white boxes appearing :(  From how you describe it I'd say your card is about to go. I would get the problem and restart and it would work for a bit then go bad and toward the end it kept getting worse and worse and finally boot up would just be jagged lines.
m
l
June 19, 2011 8:09:33 PM

Crewton, does this also sound familiar from when your GTX 260 went bad? When I do a hard shutdown from one of those black-screen freezes and then immediately restart the computer, the video card fan runs at maximum speed (instead of starting fast and quickly slowing down to normal quiet running), and nothing is displayed on the monitor. If I turn it off again and wait a minute or two before restarting, everything is fine, at least until the next crash.
m
l
June 19, 2011 9:01:44 PM

I didn't notice the fans but it did take a few minutes before I could get something on the display. I thought my card was just hot so I let it sit overnight and tried it again in the morning and it never worked after.
m
l
!