Extreme6 vs ud5 z77

Status
Not open for further replies.

equine

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I'm looking to build a new(gaming) computer soon. I'm probably going to use an i5-3570 ivy bridge CPU for it. I've been looking at motherboards for a while now and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H and the asrock extreme6. I would also be looking at the sabertooth z77, but it's a little pricey. I will probably be using a gtx 670 graphics card, a vertex4 ssd, a Cooler master 800w gold psu, and possibly a custom water loop. If not a custom loop, an H100. I will be using the cooler master storm trooper case. I will be overclocking the CPU and gpu, though I will be using MSI Afterburner for the gpu. I'm looking for a board that is functional, full-featured, reliable, and GOOD LOOKING. Why every manufacturer makes half of their motherboards with brown pcb and the terribad blue color parts(like the gigabyte board) is beyond me. The asrock and the sabertooth definitely win there. If anyone could recommend one of the two, a different similarly-priced board, or justify the purchase of the sabertooth z77, it would be much appreciated.

Hi there,

My vote would go to Sabertooth : )

Than I would take the Extreme 6. Feature loaded.

I build 1 PC with this mobo, its great overclocker, stable when pushed @ 4.8GHz on 3770K.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6089/asrock-z77-extreme6-review-legacy-bites-back/8

Z77%20Extreme6%20BoardBox_575px.jpg

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

The asus p8z77 v pro is very good too, if want to save cash you can buy the asus p8z77 v - its a more cut down version of the pro :)

equine

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I've looked at it, and it seems like a great board, but it is the TERRIBAD BLUE color I have spoken of. However, that included wifi card may be of use. Another prerequisite(which the asus does not fail) is that the board has to be atx or xl-atx(not that my budget will fit one). Decisions, decisions.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

If ur case does not have a side panel window, why care about color.
The wifi card itself is amazing it has great range and can be used as a media hub.
I considered the gigabyte too, but i got the pro for cheaper

Advantages of ud5h over pro :

It has an extra msata port which can help if you want to cache your hdd
3 Usb 3.0 headers vs. 2 - can support 6 USB 3.0 ports via header and there are 4 more at rear I/O
color : This is open minded, I actually loved the blue color! but black is more adaptable :p
Wifi card comes with blootooth

Advantages of pro :
4 Usb 2.0 headers vs. 2 : can be useful if you want to add a card reader and the usb 2 bracket included with the motherboard.
No msata : again a personal thing, its white on a black PCB and stands out too much, doesnt let the board look very sleek
Wifi GO : THE ud5h-wb comes with wifi but it plugs in to a pcie 1x slot, with wifi go module you can have an extra slot for a sound card, tv tuner, raid card etc.
TPU & EPU : If you want an auto OC and dont want to mess with the bios, flip the TPU switch and ur all done

Now the choice is yours :)

equine

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
While the case does not come with a side panel, there is one available from cooler master's website, and I have purchased it. I'm also trying to stick with the red and black there, as opposed to my previous build, which had an overall blue and green color scheme. But I think just about anything will be an upgrade from the 880G AMD chipset i'm using.

prmtvr

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

If you want red and black, buy the asrock z77 fatality series! It has great reviews and will stick to your color scheme :)

equine

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
As I stated in in my first post, i am using the Cooler Master Storm Trooper full tower case, and i have purchased a plexiglass side window for it(hence my worry about aesthetics).

equine

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Ive actually found another board that i'm looking at. The only problem is the form factor. My case can fit a RIVE, even though it was not meant to do so. The form factor is SSI-CEB, which is based on both the ATX and CEB standards, so the I/O is in hte same location as ATX, and so are most of the mounting holes. the board seems to come with mechanical, not grounding standoffs if the case doesn't support the form factor. I guess the board has some features missing, but it seems pretty neat to me. If anyone could confirm that this kind of motherboard would fit in my case it would be appreciated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157328

equine

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I don't even see the form factor on there. And if you can fit a RIVE in it, which is actually 272mm in width, why couldnt you fit a mobo that is 267mm in width? I know it will overhang the cable routing holes a bit, and I may need to tap SOME, not all, new standoff holes(if i want actual grounding), but why wouldn't it actually fit? Its basically just a slightly shorter EATX motherboard.

Someone fitting the eatx RIVE and an h100 in the case I have:
http://thessdreview.com/Forums/cases/2296.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.