Good build for the price?

G

Solution
That CPU is overkill if you're only going to do gaming. I'd say drop to a cheaper i5-2500K: it's 100 MHz slower and 2MB less cache, also no Hyperthreading, but it's ~$100 cheaper.

Oh, by the way, that Asus mobo can't take a Sandy Bridge CPU. You'll need a Z68 or P67 mobo. Suggest P8P67 series or P8Z68-V... stick with Asus, they're great.

Overkill amount of RAM. Again, if you're only gaming, 8GB is enough. And DO NOT get 3 sticks - only the older X58 chipset supports triple channel RAM, and there's no point in that chipset if you're building new. Get 2x 4GB... Ripjaws, why not, they're great.

Case is a matter of preference and I'm not much of an expert, but I think that dropping to 2500K will let you spend some more money on the...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
That CPU is overkill if you're only going to do gaming. I'd say drop to a cheaper i5-2500K: it's 100 MHz slower and 2MB less cache, also no Hyperthreading, but it's ~$100 cheaper.

Oh, by the way, that Asus mobo can't take a Sandy Bridge CPU. You'll need a Z68 or P67 mobo. Suggest P8P67 series or P8Z68-V... stick with Asus, they're great.

Overkill amount of RAM. Again, if you're only gaming, 8GB is enough. And DO NOT get 3 sticks - only the older X58 chipset supports triple channel RAM, and there's no point in that chipset if you're building new. Get 2x 4GB... Ripjaws, why not, they're great.

Case is a matter of preference and I'm not much of an expert, but I think that dropping to 2500K will let you spend some more money on the case. I'd suggest Antec Dark Fleet series or NZXT Phantom, maybe... again, need more people who know the subject better, so wait for more replies.

Also, why not get a second 460? They SLI well... I'd do it.

[strike]Don't know your PSU brand; I'd go for Corsair unit. CM, Antec, Seasonic and XFX are also good.[/strike] 650W should be enough even for 2 460s, I think. Plan to upgrade later?

That's all for now; I want to hear what do you think about that and what you're gonna do on that rig! Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just noticed that you have the PSU already, too. So forget the PSU discussion =)

Solution
G

I'm mainly gonna use this computer for school work/gaming/ and the occasional video editing. So the 2500K would still be enough, huh? Any money I can save would be great, even if it's $50. I just got my PSU and GPU two weeks ago, so I don't plan on switching them anytime soon, but the single card has been fine so far. The Antec Three Hundred is the biggest I can get, and it's got a lot of cooling and I've seen a couple of people recommend it. I really like your suggestions, though, they will really come in handy!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Video editing... how heavy? If it's heavy, 2600K will definitely help, since it has 8 virtual cores (due to Hyperthreading) and some video editing software benefits from that. However, if it's occasional.. 2500K will do. What do you think?

For $70, I'm unable to find a better case than yours. So we'll go with it for now...

Oh yeah, I strongly recommend that you get an aftermarket CPU cooler... the Intel stock HSF is garbage. Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for $28, it's great. Though, you have to make sure it fits in your case :p I compared it against my case and yours is 0.1'' wider, so it should fit. Also, you might have to buy some 120mm fans later... not all slots in that case are supplied with fans by default. Which means you might come up to $80-90 for the case and its cooling system.

G

My video editing isn't to bad, at most it'd be converting a movie , but I don't do it to often, so the 2500K should be enough. I found another Antec case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=11-129-021) which has a top 200mm fan, but I'm afraid it won't work because I won't have much space with the 900's space. How much space around the computer is recommended? I planned on buying a heat sink, because I know the standard ones are terrible :D

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Gaming cases are planned out well, I'm sure there will be more than enough space. You only have to watch out for WIDTH, if you're buying a massive HSF. And Antec 900 is even wider than the 300, so CM Hyper 212+ fits without any problems. I'd say go for it, but keep in mind that it looks like this case ALSO doesn't have all the fans included. (Newegg doesn't list the side fan, but the slot is there, and you NEED side fan to help cool the GPU. Have any spare ones around?)

Sadly, your PSU is not modular... that means, no detachable cables... you'll have to fold the unused ones and put them on the bottom of the case or something. Still, it's only a matter of looks if you manage them nicely - shouldn't prevent cooling.

G

Yeah, the 900 has plenty of space inside of it, I'm not worried about fitting all the cables. I have a pretty small case now with all the cables and it still fits. What about around the computer? How much space should be around the outside of the computer for the fans blowing out?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^ Oh! Well, don't block the fan outlets/inlets (i.e. don't stuff it in the corner xD) and make sure your room is somewhat ventilated... I once closed all the windows and doors (it was raining, and I wanted some peace and quiet... lol) and started gaming... after 2 hours, my room was an oven compared to the rest of the house! :D I have 10 centimeters from the wall from behind and on the right side, and all is fine.

G

In that case I'll be fine, my room is usually at about 71F, so I should be fine. One last question, I have a Logitech 5.1 Speaker Sound System for my current system, would I need a sound card for it? Or am I fine without one?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
First, don't forget to post your final build for revision =)

Second, most onboard sound cards support 5.1 or even 7.1 sound... however, I am able to get a bit better quality even from my old Creative SB Audigy. I say, go with onboard... you can always add a sound card later if you aren't happy with onboard.

G

I actually might not be getting this computer for a while, but I wanted to get all my research done now :) Thanks for all your help, man! You helped me SO MUCH :D

madchemist83

Distinguished
About sound card you finre without one.

For a mobo get z68 cause it supports switching between your gpu and onboard ( that's where 2600k will be better causer it has 3000HD) and onboard will speed up movie converting
and why not gop with HAF 912 for the case save 10 bucks and it's bigger then antec one

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
For a mobo get z68 cause it supports switching between your gpu and onboard ( that's where 2600k will be better causer it has 3000HD) and onboard will speed up movie converting

What? Onboard graphics will speed up video converting? Just... no.

HAF 912 seems like a good idea, if you can deal with the looks (I can't, for instance, that case is UGLY!), but don't listen to the 2600K idea.

Z68 - get it if you're planning to use SSDs later and it's also more futureproof... newer Sandy Bridge that was announced recently might run on it, and it also supports integrated graphics in case your GPU dies on you.

IGP will not help video converting... that's just... I don't know where you got this from.

G

I'm gonna stick with the 2500K because my video editing isn't to extreme. I also chose ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250, which should be compatible with everything. I'm not gonna spend an extra $100 on the 2600K, I don't think it's worth it.

madchemist83

Distinguished
I'm gonna stick with the 2500K because my video editing isn't to extreme. I also chose ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250, which should be compatible with everything. I'm not gonna spend an extra $100 on the 2600K, I don't think it's worth it.

Good thinking. Also good choice on the Mobo. Later on you can put second GPU. Oh wait you allready have one ... too bad you shoudlve got a better gpu and then sli or cf in the future. Well if you havent opened the box return it otherwise probably can get another one right now

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Lol, totally forgot about that thing... chill out and watch your language =) Not worth extra $100, still. IMAO, all Intel IGPs are junk and HD2000 or HD3000 doesn't make much of a difference, 'cause gaming is a priority and 2500K is enough.