Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Best Sound Card and Speaker Combo?

Last response: in Components
Share
November 19, 2011 2:59:03 AM

Hello, I need help choosing a good sound card and speaker combo for around $300 total. I was looking at maybe getting the Logitech Z623 or maybe a 5.1 system, but I don't really know what's good for speakers or for sound cards. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
November 19, 2011 5:00:17 AM

For a $300 budget, Id spend it all on speakers and use on board sound.
Related resources
November 19, 2011 6:17:43 AM

What's the point of a headphone amp, redsun? He didn't say he was looking for one and if you need headphone amplification you should get a better set.
November 19, 2011 12:02:40 PM

I think I should clarify, I don't really need a headphone amp because right now I don't own one.
Second, I thought a sound card would be better than my on-board audio on my ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard.
To JackNaylor, what speakers should I get? That's my question.
To RedSunRises, I don't know if you skipped over what I wrote, but I did ask about those specific speakers in the opening post. Do you own them? Are they good?
Thanks all.
November 19, 2011 12:11:44 PM

i use bose companion 3 speakers and asus dx1 sound cards . wicked sound.
November 19, 2011 12:13:24 PM

i had creative xfi audio aswell god rid of it for asus xonardx1 . worth every penny it kills the creative sound card.
November 19, 2011 1:15:00 PM

Yes, I was leaning against creative, I had an old card of theirs and it seems like they don't support their hardware well with software.

I have also found another contender: the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. Any suggestions or comments?
November 19, 2011 5:44:49 PM

johndabeast said:
I think I should clarify, I don't really need a headphone amp because right now I don't own one.
Second, I thought a sound card would be better than my on-board audio on my ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard.
To JackNaylor, what speakers should I get? That's my question.
To RedSunRises, I don't know if you skipped over what I wrote, but I did ask about those specific speakers in the opening post. Do you own them? Are they good?
Thanks all.


Yes I do own them, and unfortunately I was kind of trashed yesterday and not thinking clearly when I posted... But they are a great 2.1 speaker combo. Ive never had a 5.1 or 7.1 system for my computer, so I cant really recommend those if that is what you are leaning towards.
November 19, 2011 10:50:35 PM

Haha its fine, I'm leaning towards either the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedias or the 2.1 Logitech Z623, I just need to decide between the two and find the best sound card for them. Thanks for the input though.
November 19, 2011 11:06:22 PM

davcon said:
Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=35596&vpn=AZTXFF710555...


I like that sound card, I don't know about the speaker system though, $50 more than the Klipschs? Is it that much better?

And, does that sound card use Creative Drivers? I did not like them, they didn't work well.

Now that I've researched the Corsair speakers, I like them now too haha, what to buy, what to buy.
November 20, 2011 2:41:41 AM

johndabeast said:
I like that sound card, I don't know about the speaker system though, $50 more than the Klipschs? Is it that much better?

And, does that sound card use Creative Drivers? I did not like them, they didn't work well.

Now that I've researched the Corsair speakers, I like them now too haha, what to buy, what to buy.

I own the Forte and, no, it doesn't use Craptastic drivers.
The reason i switched from Creative to Auzentech cards in all my latest Win7 builds.
You'll be hard pressed to find a better soundcard at that price range.
The only other decent one i can think of is the Auzentech Meridian 7.1 2G @ the same price.
Keep your eyes peeled on the Corsair's, Ncix had them on sale last month for $149.99/free shipping.
They're better then the Klipsch or Logitechs imo.
The Klipsch were much better years ago,when first released= have gone done in quality(cost cutting).
November 20, 2011 4:35:35 AM

davcon said:
I own the Forte and, no, it doesn't use Craptastic drivers.
The reason i switched from Creative to Auzentech cards in all my latest Win7 builds.
You'll be hard pressed to find a better soundcard at that price range.
The only other decent one i can think of is the Auzentech Meridian 7.1 2G @ the same price.
Keep your eyes peeled on the Corsair's, Ncix had them on sale last month for $149.99/free shipping.
They're better then the Klipsch or Logitechs imo.
The Klipsch were much better years ago,when first released= have gone done in quality(cost cutting).


Wow, if I could get the Corsairs for 150 I'd do it in a heartbeat! Thanks for your recommendation, if what you say is true about the downgrade in quality of the Klipsch, I think I'm going to get the Corsairs if they get cheap enough.
One question though, what's the difference between the two sound cards you recommended if they are from the same company at the same price?

Edit: Is it just that the 2G is PCI while the first one is PCIe? Thanks.

Best solution

November 20, 2011 4:44:56 AM
Share

johndabeast said:
Wow, if I could get the Corsairs for 150 I'd do it in a heartbeat! Thanks for your recommendation, if what you say is true about the downgrade in quality of the Klipsch, I think I'm going to get the Corsairs if they get cheap enough.
One question though, what's the difference between the two sound cards you recommended if they are from the same company at the same price?

The Forte is an improved X-FI design using the Creative 20K2 PCI Express audio processor.- very good for gaming and Hard rock/Metal music.= perfect
http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzentech-xfi-forte-71-so...
The Meridian uses the C-Media CMI8788 Oxygen HD PCI Audio Processor.= used on alot of high-end cards from Asus and HT Omega.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzen-xmeridian-71-2g-sou...
Corsair SP2500
http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-sp2500-speaker-re...
November 20, 2011 4:54:13 AM

davcon said:
The Forte is an improved X-FI design using the Creative 20K2 PCI Express audio processor.- very good for gaming and Hard rock/Metal music.= perfect
http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzentech-xfi-forte-71-so...
The Meridian uses the C-Media CMI8788 Oxygen HD PCI Audio Processor.= used on alot of high-end cards from Asus and HT Omega.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzen-xmeridian-71-2g-sou...
Corsair SP2500
http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-sp2500-speaker-re...


Wow, you've been extremely helpful, now I just need for the prices to drop a little and I'm good to go. Thank you for your excellent recommendations, the thing I love best about Azunetech is they use the "look" of Creative's software, but write it themselves, that's excellent!

You say the Forte is better for Rock/Gaming and the say the Meridian is used in high end cards, not giving an actual use. If most of my use will be hip-hop and Battlefield 3, what would you go with?

Also, thanks to the links to the reviews, I'm reading them now.
November 20, 2011 5:34:23 AM

johndabeast said:
Wow, you've been extremely helpful, now I just need for the prices to drop a little and I'm good to go. Thank you for your excellent recommendations, the thing I love best about Azunetech is they use the "look" of Creative's software, but write it themselves, that's excellent!

You say the Forte is better for Rock/Gaming and the say the Meridian is used in high end cards, not giving an actual use. If most of my use will be hip-hop and Battlefield 3, what would you go with?

Also, thanks to the links to the reviews, I'm reading them now.

The Forte was released in 2009 and focused on the gaming market = built-in headphone amp.- it's a very well rounded card.
The Meridian is their newest offering 2011 it's also a very well rounded card -gaming and music reproduction is top notch.
These cards are priced around $120 mark and offer a very good performance/price ratio.
Sure there's better cards out there but they're like $200.
I love my Forte! if it ever bit the dust i wouldn't hesitate to buy either one of these Auzens.
November 20, 2011 5:51:19 AM

I think I'm going to go with the Forte because it is PCIe which would fit better into my computer. You've been a great help and made me go from undecided to decided today, I can't thank you enough.
November 20, 2011 5:51:33 AM

Best answer selected by johndabeast.
!