So the 5670 in my sons comp went to the dumps, a storm and a short in the psu I assume.
Needless to say I misplaced the receipt when I got the video card so I cant Rma it back to ASUS.
I was able to find two video cards that perform roughly in the same area as my sons 5670 512mb ddr5,
One is a 8800GT 512mb DDR3, 256bit.
The other is a 8800GTS 320mb DDR3 320bit,
On average the 8800GT is better, but the GTS comes with the original receipt in case it needs to be returned for repair down the road.
Is it worth getting the 8800gts even tho it performs slightly less then the GT.
Why would you RMA something that has shorted out due to storm damage? That is not factory defect related... it's like if you drop your cell phone in a pool and then you blame the cell phone manufacturer... if ANYTHING could be RMA'd, it would be the PSU, not the GPU.
Unless either card has a valid warranty that transfers, the reciept will do nothing for you. In that case, get the faster card.
1. If your purchase of the card was online try to get them to send you the Order Number for your purchase. I have successfully returned parts this way when my paper receipt was missing (from NCIX).
2. Don't tell them what the problem was. Just say it stopped working.
3. An 8800GT is a very old card. The GTX4xx series from NVidia runs hot and consumes a lot of power. This was rectified with the GTX5xx series.
4. You should be buying a card from one of these series:
a) AMD HD5xxx
b) AMD HD6xxx
c) NVidia GTX5xx
5. the maximum graphics card you can obtain is dependent on two things:
a) your CPU (as a bottleneck if too slow)
b) PSU (in particular, the Amps on the 12V line(s) must be greater than that required by the graphics card. You must obtain the specs for both the PSU and graphics cards current (Amps). For example, a GTX570 requires 38A. I saw a 500W PSU which has TWO 12V lines of 22A each, however the COMBINED total was only 32A and not sufficient.
6. NCIX has great deals.
7. To help you further, I would need four things:
#1. your Power Supply model
#2. your CPU model
#3. can your CPU be overclocked?
#4. Your budget
"On average the 8800GT is better, but the GTS comes with the original receipt in case it needs to be returned for repair down the road."
What are you talking about? All products come with receipts.