Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

PSU for high-end gaming rig

Last response: in Components
Share
November 19, 2011 5:06:21 AM

Hello,

I'm currently building my dream-rig and would love some advice on a suitable PSU.

Components are as follows:

CPU: core i5-2500k (aim to OC to ~4.5ghz)
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 580 SLI
MoBo: Asrock Extreme4 Gen3
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600mhz DDR3 (2x4gb)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
SSD: Corsair force series GT 120gb
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R

questions: 1) Would my calculations of a 1000W unit be accurate? If not, how much would I need?

2) Any tips on which leading PSU to buy for the wattage I need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a heap guys,

Scotty

Related resources
November 19, 2011 5:46:23 AM

950W-1000W of quality PSU should leave you enough headroom to not put too much stress on it. Those cards draw about 250W-275W a piece under load. So figure at least 550W alone just for the dual GPUs & another ~150W-200W for the rest of the system for a total of about 750W under load. Which would leave a 1000W PSU running at ~75% capacity which is within reason.

Anything by Antec, Thermaltake, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, Cooler master or seasonic would get my vote. Prices would probably range from $150-$250 within those brands for a quality 1000W unit.

EDIT: That corsair listed is also a top notch unit.
Score
0
November 20, 2011 3:48:28 AM

dominyon said:
950W-1000W of quality PSU should leave you enough headroom to not put too much stress on it. Those cards draw about 250W-275W a piece under load. So figure at least 550W alone just for the dual GPUs & another ~150W-200W for the rest of the system for a total of about 750W under load. Which would leave a 1000W PSU running at ~75% capacity which is within reason.

Anything by Antec, Thermaltake, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, Cooler master or seasonic would get my vote. Prices would probably range from $150-$250 within those brands for a quality 1000W unit.

EDIT: That corsair listed is also a top notch unit.


Thanks for the advice,

I had the editor of Hardware Evolution post an opinion on a similar topic thread I started at their site suggesting that there are no decent 1000W PSU available and he would not recommend any in that range for my build, which leaves 1200W as the next step up. He suggested that for the price of a 1200W you can get the enermax 1350. Would people agree with this as a good way to go at tom's hardware? That would be 80% above the minimum requirements, seems a little overkill to me nd those units aren't very cheap!


Score
0

Best solution

November 20, 2011 6:48:34 PM

Scottabus said:
Thanks for the advice,

I had the editor of Hardware Evolution post an opinion on a similar topic thread I started at their site suggesting that there are no decent 1000W PSU available and he would not recommend any in that range for my build


He may not have gotten his hands on SeaSonic's latest then, it comes at a price premium but it is hands down the best 1,000W PSU available. It is just as much as the 1,200W-1,350W units you are referring to above but I would trust it even more. This is what I would choose if I were building a rig with your specs, it would be a shame to fry all that beautiful (and expensive!) hardware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HardOCP review - http://hardocp.com/article/2011/11/01/seasonic_platinum...

9.8 score from Jonny Guru - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
Share
November 21, 2011 9:32:22 AM

That Seasonic unit looks amazing. Haven't tracked it down on the usual sites for Australian buyers yet (I'm very jealous of the US and their newegg!) - and I shudder to think how much more expensive it will be over here - but I'll keep an eye out.



Score
0
November 21, 2011 3:22:19 PM

It's a new unit so it might take a bit to make it's way down under but worth keeping an eye out for if you have the patience to not give in to the upgrade itch :) 
Score
0
November 22, 2011 1:31:43 AM

dominyon said:
It's a new unit so it might take a bit to make it's way down under but worth keeping an eye out for if you have the patience to not give in to the upgrade itch :) 


You could always enter the Jonny Guru contest to try and win it :-P

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDContest&op=...

This place says call and has the best price listed

http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23388&pid=42404&p=pro...

This place says call to inquire about the product

http://www.skycomp.com.au/item/Seasonic-Seasonic-XP-100...

This place says they can order it and has a decent price

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/43323-platinum-1000

This place you can also call in to order it but price is high

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info.php?manufactu...

Also this place but doesn't have it in stock

http://www.mwave.com.au/category.asp?ST=Basic&CartID=mA...

Also I found this place but I cannot tell exactly what type of website it is, it doesn't appear to be a review website or retail website...maybe they do catalog orders or are a local retail shop?

http://www.powerhousepc.com.au/index.php?productID=709

This place has the 1000W X series seasonic

http://www.macotechnology.com.au/pd9.asp?cat=Power%20Su...

Hope that helps!
Score
0
November 22, 2011 2:08:01 AM

That is a huge help, thanks very much dominyon! Will definitely try track it down at a competitive price.

I reckon that wraps things up on this question. If you had a spare second would you mind having a quick look at my other thread on which motherboard to choose for my rig??

I know it's asking a bit much but it's the very last hurdle before I hunt down and purchase the components.

Thanks again this was very helpful.

Scott
Score
0
November 22, 2011 2:08:41 AM

Best answer selected by Scottabus.
Score
0
!