desktop popup delay

Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:

On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting that will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it activates? I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop tweak and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.

Any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about desktop popup delay

    Without re-creating this...

    Try the edit on line 7

    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "skipc10" <skipc10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:
    >
    > On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu
    > popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse
    > touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting that
    > will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it activates?
    > I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop tweak
    > and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Thanks, tried that, rebooted, and no change. Are you sure the time for the showing of folders-as-menu on the desktop margin is the same as for balloontips? any other delay settings I can try?

    Thanks.

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Without re-creating this...
    >
    > Try the edit on line 7

    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "skipc10" <skipc10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:
    > >
    > > On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu
    > > popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse
    > > touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting that
    > > will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it activates?
    > > I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop tweak
    > > and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    No. Yes:

    TweakUI/Mouse/X-Mouse/Activation Delay: http://tinyurl.com/h8zs

    Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/General: Click items as follows.

    Right click the Start button/Properties/Customize/Advanced/Open submenu's
    when I pause on them with my mouse.

    --

    > Thanks, tried that, rebooted, and no change. Are you sure the time for
    > the showing of folders-as-menu on the desktop margin is the same as for
    > balloontips? any other delay settings I can try?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Without re-creating this...
    >>
    >> Try the edit on line 7
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "skipc10" <skipc10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:
    >> >
    >> > On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu
    >> > popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse
    >> > touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting
    >> > that
    >> > will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it
    >> > activates?
    >> > I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop
    >> > tweak
    >> > and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?

    It looks like a follow-up posting of mine never made it on auto-hide... Well, I tried these and was hopefull, but here's why I think it's still not affecting it:

    My missing post suggested that it would be the same setting that governs auto-hide of the taskbar. How can we slow down the taskbar response? It's the same idea, and in fact it has an auto-hide setting upon right clicking. That's what I'm trying to slow down. If a particular setting causes the taskbar (when auto-hid) to respond slowly to the mouse being moved to the screen bottom, we've got it.

    For the Xmouse idea, although I love X, the taskbar isn't governed by the general window settings, so it behaves differently, and this would be drastic too.

    For the explorer/tools/.... click as follows - your idea seems to end there....

    The right click on start menu seems to be a third idea, and I did that too, but no joy.

    I really think it's the taskbar auto-hide popup delay value - which probably isn't listed in the registry and has to be added somewhere. Problem is, like the others, it won't work unless you get it perfectly right ;)

    Perhaps you know the special incantations <G> and my taskbar idea helps.

    Thanks.
    Skip

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > No. Yes:
    >
    > TweakUI/Mouse/X-Mouse/Activation Delay: http://tinyurl.com/h8zs
    >
    > Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/General: Click items as follows.
    >
    > Right click the Start button/Properties/Customize/Advanced/Open submenu's
    > when I pause on them with my mouse.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly

    I added an update a few days ago and wondered if this thread was still active. If there's no fix, please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Skip
  6. There's a freeware program produced (is that the right term?) by Pierre-Marie Devigne that allows you pretty good control of your taskbar delay and settings. Find it here: http://pmdevigne.free.fr/index_e.shtml - best of luck!

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP