desktop popup delay

Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:

On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting that will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it activates? I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop tweak and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.

Any ideas?

kelly

Without re-creating this...

Try the edit on line 7

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"skipc10" <skipc10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:
>
> On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu
> popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse
> touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting that
> will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it activates?
> I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop tweak
> and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.
>
> Any ideas?

Thanks, tried that, rebooted, and no change. Are you sure the time for the showing of folders-as-menu on the desktop margin is the same as for balloontips? any other delay settings I can try?

Thanks.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Without re-creating this...
>
> Try the edit on line 7

> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "skipc10" <skipc10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:
> >
> > On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu
> > popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse
> > touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting that
> > will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it activates?
> > I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop tweak
> > and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.
> >
> > Any ideas?

kelly

No. Yes:

TweakUI/Mouse/X-Mouse/Activation Delay: http://tinyurl.com/h8zs

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/General: Click items as follows.

Right click the Start button/Properties/Customize/Advanced/Open submenu's
when I pause on them with my mouse.

--

> Thanks, tried that, rebooted, and no change. Are you sure the time for
> the showing of folders-as-menu on the desktop margin is the same as for
> balloontips? any other delay settings I can try?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Without re-creating this...
>>
>> Try the edit on line 7
>>
>> --
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly
>>
>> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
>> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>
>> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>>

>> "skipc10" <skipc10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does anyone know of the registry entry that controls this delay:
>> >
>> > On the desktop, I dragged a folder to the edge to make it become a menu
>> > popup. That's fine, except that it pops up instantly whenever the mouse
>> > touches the edge (which is often for me). Is there a delay setting
>> > that
>> > will change it to delay so that I must hover a second before it
>> > activates?
>> > I tried the common add MenuShowDelay to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop
>> > tweak
>> > and it doesn't affect it, just the start menu.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

It looks like a follow-up posting of mine never made it on auto-hide... Well, I tried these and was hopefull, but here's why I think it's still not affecting it:

My missing post suggested that it would be the same setting that governs auto-hide of the taskbar. How can we slow down the taskbar response? It's the same idea, and in fact it has an auto-hide setting upon right clicking. That's what I'm trying to slow down. If a particular setting causes the taskbar (when auto-hid) to respond slowly to the mouse being moved to the screen bottom, we've got it.

For the Xmouse idea, although I love X, the taskbar isn't governed by the general window settings, so it behaves differently, and this would be drastic too.

For the explorer/tools/.... click as follows - your idea seems to end there....

The right click on start menu seems to be a third idea, and I did that too, but no joy.

I really think it's the taskbar auto-hide popup delay value - which probably isn't listed in the registry and has to be added somewhere. Problem is, like the others, it won't work unless you get it perfectly right ;)

Perhaps you know the special incantations <G> and my taskbar idea helps.

Thanks.
Skip

"Kelly" wrote:

> No. Yes:
>
> TweakUI/Mouse/X-Mouse/Activation Delay: http://tinyurl.com/h8zs
>
> Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/General: Click items as follows.
>
> Right click the Start button/Properties/Customize/Advanced/Open submenu's
> when I pause on them with my mouse.
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly

I added an update a few days ago and wondered if this thread was still active. If there's no fix, please let me know.

Thanks,
Skip