Sign in with
Your question

ECC registered

Last response: in Memory
August 21, 2012 5:51:50 PM

Hi Friends,

what is the diffrence between ECC registered ram and NON-ECC ram.and what is does for workstation pc .
also suggest me 4GB ECC registered ram.

More about : ecc registered

August 21, 2012 6:02:36 PM

ECC:
pro - with error checking (ideal for 24X7 servers)
con - price, error checking has performance overhead
m
l
August 21, 2012 6:07:07 PM

vodomore said:
ECC:
pro - with error checking (ideal for 24X7 servers)
con - price, error checking has performance overhead

so can u suggest me any con ecc ram
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
August 21, 2012 7:11:08 PM

There's a couple different versions of ECC - UDIMM and RDIMM. RDIMM is very uncommon for a Workstation. Also both your CPU (e.g. Xeon or AMD/Opteron) and MOBO need to support ECC RAM. RDIMM is ECC and Buffered but it's not meant for a Workstation in most instances.

Here's a nice (.DOC) file from NewEgg - http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemint...

Now if your usage is high and the data is mission critical or for final production then ECC is a good choice. My servers are always running with an enormous amount of data so RDIMM is employed.

For a Workstation with 64GB or less then ECC UDIMM is the best choice, and I know Video Workstations with 128GB of RAM where RDIMM is being employed. A few folks also want ECC for their Home PC, my best friend is an IT VP @ Morgan Stanley and everything on his PC is Enterprise grande. So I don't scoff at those wanting ECC, I know a few times per month my RAM is making errors.

Q - what's the purpose of your Workstation?
Q - what CPU?
Q - how much RAM?
m
l
August 21, 2012 7:20:31 PM

jaquith said:
There's a couple different versions of ECC - UDIMM and RDIMM. RDIMM is very uncommon for a Workstation. Also both your CPU (e.g. Xeon or AMD/Opteron) and MOBO need to support ECC RAM. RDIMM is ECC and Buffered but it's not meant for a Workstation in most instances.

Here's a nice (.DOC) file from NewEgg - http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemint...

Now if your usage is high and the data is mission critical or for final production then ECC is a good choice. My servers are always running with an enormous amount of data so RDIMM is employed.

For a Workstation with 64GB or less then ECC UDIMM is the best choice, and I know Video Workstations with 128GB of RAM where RDIMM is being employed. A few folks also want ECC for their Home PC, my best friend is an IT VP @ Morgan Stanley and everything on his PC is Enterprise grande. So I don't scoff at those wanting ECC, I know a few times per month my RAM is making errors.

Q - what's the purpose of your Workstation?
Q - what CPU?
Q - how much RAM?

thanks for your response-

workstation purpose is 3d graphic rendering.
Cpu- i7 3930k and motherboard intel DX79
24 GB ram
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 21, 2012 7:57:41 PM

The i7-3930K doesn't support ECC, and only the Intel's Xeon can support ECC.

Assuming the Intel BOXDX79SI (DX79SI) - http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.asp...

The DX79SI supports Xeon E5-26XX series CPU's (see list above) but doesn't list ECC RAM as being supported:
Memory Types:
• DDR3 2400+ O.C. SDRAM memory support
• Non-ECC Memory

Getting 24GB would require a mix-match of RAM (especially IC's/densities) e.g. 4x2GB + 4x4GB. So I'd either look for a Quad Channel 4x8GB or 8x4GB (32GB) kit or matching kits.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 21, 2012 8:37:39 PM

Update the Intel BOXDX79SI (DX79SI) can support ECC - http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20560/eng/DX79SI_TechPr...

Intel needs to have ALL of their data match so errors aren't being made from 'bad' information on their website. However, absolutely the Xeon E5-26XX series CPU's is a requirement for ECC.

The reason I searched more is because I found it to be very odd the Intel MOBO supports E5's but not ECC RAM.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 21, 2012 9:12:09 PM

*Hi, I'm a tech:
There are other areas where error correction is done in your hardware.

One of the reasons that ECC isn't widely used is that it's simply not that necessary.

You already have 24GB of RAM and appear to have NO PROBLEMS. Just forget about ECC completely and stick with your current computer.

RAM TESTING:
1) ensure BIOS is up to date
2) ensure RAM is not overclocked (overclocking the CPU sometimes overclocks the RAM. If so, usually you simply LOWER the RAM MULTIPLIER in the BIOS)
3) run MEMTEST for at least a few minutes for quick tests and a FINAL test of THREE COMPLETE cycles (overnight) www.memtest.org

SUMMARY:
- ECC only needed for very critical computer setups that can't afford mistakes
- error correction already exists at different stages in your PC
- your fine
- run MEMTEST any time you change the CPU or RAM settings in the BIOS
m
l
!