CPU Overheating!!!

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I switchn my computer and core temp says its running at around 50 but then it suddenly shoots up to 70 then 95
i thought it was because of cad airflow so i went and bought a new case ==" obviously not *sigh*

Intel Core 2 duo E6750 Stock cooler
GA-P35-DS3L
4GB G.Skill DDR2
GTX465
Coolermaster 650W
ThermalTake V9

kaweee

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
It will dry up after around 1-2 years of usage naturally, not because you lifted the heatsink

You should take the heatsink out and check if the thermal paste is dried up and not covering the chip anymore

beret21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Such a temperature shoot up shows either fan is not working or heatsink loose contact with processor.
Secondly are u r checking temps in bios or by software ??

Failure in cooling 100%.

If you take off the heat sink, you can't just put it back on.

Every time you should clean off all the thermal paste and put more on when you do this. There are guides on this website and others for how to work through this process.

If you do that and temps are still too high, then airflow inside the case is being obstructed or directed incorrectly.

Try to give us a picture of the inside of the computer if you can.

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Re applied the case everything seems to be running smooth at 50-70 (34 at idle) but for some reason CPU usage is boosting to 100% at random times when im not even running anything that demanding Could this be because of the 2.6Ghz Bottlenecking my GTX 465 or i've damaged my CPU? Airflow should be no problem.

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
At idle it sits around 0-20 but then it will randomly shoot to 100 and come back down. Task manager shows nothing unusual but i just ran BF3 and before i even started playing my cpu hit 100% and 93 celcius at the main menu :S could running the game on high overload my cpu till it just eventually explodes?

Des123

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Ok decided im going to buy a new heatsink which one should i buy??? either:

Thermaltake Contac29 Universal CPU Cooler Fan,Hyper 212 or Thermaltake ISGC 100 Universal Cooler Fan

treadlightly

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hi, everyone. CPU overheating is a problem I have some experience with, so I would like to add my thoughts to the collection.

There are several things I know of that can cause a CPU to run a little too warmly, or get downright hot:

1. Dust or lint blocking the heat sink.
2. Failure of the CPU's cooling fan, or the computer case's cooling fan(s).
3. High ambient temperature (room temperature).
4. Overclocking the CPU.

In my experience, a blocked heat sink is the most common problem. I am a smoker, and smoke forms a sticky film on surfaces that attracts and holds dust. I also have a friend who doesn't allow smoking in his house, but he has a defective clothes-dryer vent that creates airborne lint. My heat sink gets clogged with smoky dust, his with lint, and the result is the same. The air must flow or the cooling won't happen.

Fan failure: This should be self-explanatory.

Room temperature: While the ambient temperature should not cause your CPU to overheat, it is, nevertheless, a factor that most people overlook when trying to calculate their processor's temperature performance. I notice that my CPU's operating temperature rises measurably as room temperature rises. A five-degree change in room temperature results in ... guess what ... a five degree change in CPU temperature. Just something to think about when making really picky temperature measurements.

Overclocking is not something that most people do. Technically experienced people may try to boost CPU performance by increasing the processor's clock speed beyond what the manufacturer recommends. If the CPU can stand it, this may enhance computer performance ... but it will inevitably cause the CPU to run hotter.

What causes CPU heat, anyway? Well, your computer is an electronic device, so it works by electrons traveling through conductors. Whenever electrons travel through conductors, they generate heat. The conductors (wires) warm up due to the passage of electrons through them. In a CPU, there are millions of conductors in a very small space. The amount of heat generated is tremendous, for its small size, so it has to be aggressively cooled, else parts of it would melt.

And that's my humble contribution. I hope something in it helps someone. If nothing else, I had fun writing it!
;)

unigon

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I just had a similar problem. The CPU would hit 85C and the computer would shut down. After googling for a solution I cleaned the dust from under the CPU fan and adding two more case fans. This brought the temperature down to about 40C under a normal load, 17C while idling. I was planning to try a new CPU cooler or use new thermal paste when I noticed all the dust... So I definitely agree that you should check for dust first.