Sign in with
Your question

HD Lag Following a MB Replacement

Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2011 10:30:27 PM

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my motherboard (which had gotten a bit outdated) and since then I have found that when I access folders on any of my secondary hard drives (Non C: ) the explorer window will lock up when the green explorer loading bar appears across the top of the window (An issue that my system did not previously have).

At the time of the motherboard replacement I was also forced change from 8gb DDR2 to 4gb of DDR3 my new board's lack of support of DDR2. I was hoping to get a second opinion from the community as to weather my system's current problem is the result of this drop in ram, before I order an additional 4GB.

I thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this issue.

-John

Current setup for reference, if my old system specs are necessary for comparison let me know and I'll see if i can dig them up.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

Ram: x2 Corsair 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2GB

MB: MSI P67A-GD65

More about : lag replacement

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2011 12:59:27 AM

MSI = rubbish

Do a fresh install of windows, dont use the same install with a new motherboard

Ram count would not do this, it does not matter

Have you also tested your hardware to verify its all aok aka hdd tests?
m
l
August 21, 2011 9:22:07 AM

Thanks for the response Apache, in regards to your advice:

When I replaced the motherboard I also did a fresh install of the OS, and had previously wiped and reinstalled the OS several times over the past couple years with no issues cropping up.

As for the hardware, I have run a couple of tests on it and have come up clean, and as I am having the issue on all three of my secondary drives drives I doubt that it is likely a HDD problem.

Upon further tinkering with my system I am fairly certain that the issue is connected to the green progress bar at the top of the explorer window, as I have found that clicking the "X" to cancel the bar's progress ends the lag.

I look forward to hearing any any additional ideas on how to rectify this problem.

Thanks in advance,

-John
m
l
August 21, 2011 1:53:36 PM

I'd suggest checking what port you connected your harddisk on (assuming it's a sata disk). Make sure it's not a raid sata slot if you don't have it in raid configuration and then also check the settings in your bios and make sure the interface is set to ahci. If this has to be adjusted it may require a reinstall of your windows.
m
l
Related resources
!