Waiting to build a PC?

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Well, I have been planning on building a 1500$ gaming rig, but it will probably take me around a year to save up all this cash, but ive heard that there are new gereration cpus and other hardware coming out in like 6 months. By the time i have enoug money should i get the new gen hardware or get this gen's stuff at a lower price? Should all this gen's tech be put so far out of date by the new hardware that it isnt even worth buying? I dont want to spend the money just to have to upgrade everything 6 months later. But the new tech could also be much more expencive. Will the hardware i get (if it's this gen's) even be good enough to play on newer games designed for the new hardware? :sweat:

No sense in stewing about it now. Wait and see what is offered.

The new cpu's and graphics cards will be built on a smaller manufacturing technology. That means they will run faster, and cooler. They will be cheaper to produce.

But, they will be sold at what their value is. Older parts, have in the past, not plummeted in price when new generations arrive.

If you get a 2500K today, you will have no remorse in bypassing the next generation of cpu's

I think the graphics card situation will be different.

Plan on a SSD, they are wonderful, but prices will drop more.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
so if i get this gens i52500k than it should still be able to compete with the newer tech? and even if prices dont plumet perse, they should still go down some, and at 1500 for the rig i planned now, any bit of price taken off is good, also what do you mean, bypassing the next gen? would the current high end cpus still be competitive even afer this next gen has an even newer generation? i just want something that will be fast for as long as i can get, i dont want to buy an i5 and not be able to run any new games in a year after buoilding that thing, im not one to drop 1500 bucks every couple years in upgrading a computer...

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
also the current price of ssd's is what truned me off of them, if i can get a fairly good speed with a regular hard drve then why pay sooo much for a second one with only like 100 gigs ( i see the beifit of putting the OS etc on an ssd, however) but if they get as cheap as hdd's are now by the time i have the cash for a computer i would consider them.

The next generation, aka ivy bridge, is a 22nm die shrink of the current sandy bridge, with few architectural changes. The next generation after that would normally be an architecture change, based on 22nm. Each new generation becomes more capable, and the same price as the previous.

The 2500K is designed to overclock conservatively to 4.0 and above. That is not a real limitation for games today. And probably not tomorrow either. Game builders want the largest market possible for their games. Yhey have little incentive to produce a game that is playable on only the highest end pc's.

I can see games using more eye candy and graphics complexity. That is because the evvects can be reduced to allow the game to be playable on lesser graphics cards.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
so if i got this gens i5 2500k then when ivy bridhge comes out it wouldnt really be "obsolete"? and even if it isnt quite as powerful as the next gen at the same price as it is now, can i just upgrade the gpu until i bottleneck and THEN fully upgrade the rig, which hopefully by then the gen after ivy bridge comes out and i could get that but how much would it take for an i5 to bottleneck a gpu?and would just upgrading the gpu (and power supply most likely) still keep up with the newest genaration tech?