Closed Solved

Compatibility > $?

Hi, I am planning to build a new computer within the next year. I have already bought an AMD Athlon II X3 455, but I don't know which kind of motherboard I should get. I don't think I will upgrade this computer very soon after I get it, maybe a year for a graphics card, and even 3 to 4 years until a new CPU, if I end up needing more cores or more "horsepower" :p . I've heard that AM3+ is coming to a close in about a year and a half. Still, is having the luxury of compatibility for things like SLI and AM3+ worth the extra money, for the slim chance that I do want to upgrade? (I'm "very young", so I only get about $15 a week by mowing lawns.) Thanks if you replied! ;)
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility
  1. AFAIK, there is no AMD socket that has any upgrade capabilities like the AM3+ ATM.

it is your best choice.
  2. GrandAndreasK said:
    I think that is a little... out of my budget :(
  3. ChaseCTech said:
    I think that is a little... out of my budget :(

is this too much?
    MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ $119.99
    or
    GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ $81.99
  4. Anonymous said:
    that is in my budget, thanks
  5. What about the ASUS M5A88-M? It looks has good features, has integrated graphics, and is in my budget. Whaddaya think?
  6. Best answer
    Geez :sarcastic: .... but if i have to bend down to the next gen starter-rig level then i'd say go and mow a couple more lawns and get this one.....ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ $134.99 :bounce:

But if it wont fit in your computer case then don't worry the 99$ asus will get the job done...

It got great potential for starter upgrades... and maybe you could wish for a cpu for birthday/christmas :ange:
  7. GrandAndreasK said:
    Geez :sarcastic: .... but if i have to bend down to the next gen starter-rig level then i'd say go and mow a couple more lawns and get this one.....MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ $134.99 :bounce:

But if it wont fit in your computer case then don't worry the 99$ asus will get the job done...

It got great potential for starter upgrades... and maybe you could wish for a cpu for birthday/christmas :ange:
    I already bought an AMD Athlon II X3 455... and I think your link is "broken".
  8. Fixed.

Bouth Asus's is good

That Gigabyte is good too

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ $89.99
    GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ $109.99
    GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ $129.99
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ $139.99

But stay away from MSI....it is not as good as the others

Just go for the color you like best

You really get what you pay for
  9. Best answer selected by ChaseCTech.
  10. This topic has been closed by Nikorr