Bad memory or motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monoceros

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hi, I'm new here and have built my first computer. Thing is though, I originally ordered an ASRock MB (I forgot the exact model) however it was DOA, so my father and I (I'm 17) returned it and ran over to Altex and picked up a different MB that had an LGA1155 socket, (DH67GD, it's an intel mobo). However it wasn't compatible with the RAM I already had (corsair vengeance 2x4gb @ 1600 MHz) and as a result it gave me three beeps, indicating a memory error.

My father and I once more ran over to Altex to pick up RAM that was compatible with the mobo (didn't have a logo on it, I'm thinking it's their 'house brand' if that makes sense?) at 1333 MHz, again 2x4gb sticks. I had put the RAM sticks in the slots once more, and the motherboard still gave me three beeps, I've reseated these two sticks of RAM in every possible way I can think of. what strikes me as odd is that when both sticks are in, the MB will give me three beeps, but when I have just one (either of them) in any of the slots, my computer wont turn on until about ten seconds after I press the power button. This also occurred with the corsair RAM.

I don't think any of the RAM is bad, but I don't know for sure because I don't have another computer to test it on at the moment. Honestly I think I just have another dead motherboard.

If it helps here's the specs to the rest of the build:

CPU: i5-3450 (ivy bridge, with stock cooler as I don't plan to OC)
Graphics card: radeon hd 6870 with 1 gb gddr5
Hard drive: western digital caviar black 1 tb 7200 rpm
PSU: Antec earthwatts 650 W 80 plus Bronze certified
Case is a cooler master HAF 912 mid-size tower.

I have removed the CMOS battery and reseated it multiple times to no avail, I have removed the graphics card hoping that somehow the graphics card was at fault, still nothing.

I can't test the MB because it's the only one in the household with an 1155 socket.
I can't test the processer because its the only 1155 pin CPU in the household.
I can probably test the RAM (both sets) on my friends computer even though it's an AMD build (same goes for the GPU)
I don't think it's my PSU because my computer isn't showing any signs of a bad PSU.
I can probably test the Hard Drive, just in case that might be bad, though unrelated to the memory problem...

So could the beeping be the result of bad RAM (regarding the Altex RAM), or because the motherboard is bad alltogether?

I apologize if I reply late, as I'm writing this from an iPad, the computer this build is supposed to replace is practically done for due to age, a really bad virus, and the fact that it's a netbook.

Solution
Were both motherboards 6 series boards (ie. H67, like the current one or H61, P67, Z68, etc.)?

Well, the problem with the current board is that it isn't compatible with the 3450 without a BIOS update. If the other board was a 6 series board as well, that was also the problem with it. And the only way to update the BIOS of a 6 series board is with a Sandy Bridge CPU installed, so you won't be able to do that.

You need to get a 7 series board (Z77, Z75, B75, etc.) to be able to use that 3450. That's the problem, not the RAM.
Were both motherboards 6 series boards (ie. H67, like the current one or H61, P67, Z68, etc.)?

Well, the problem with the current board is that it isn't compatible with the 3450 without a BIOS update. If the other board was a 6 series board as well, that was also the problem with it. And the only way to update the BIOS of a 6 series board is with a Sandy Bridge CPU installed, so you won't be able to do that.

You need to get a 7 series board (Z77, Z75, B75, etc.) to be able to use that 3450. That's the problem, not the RAM.

Solution

Monoceros

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
The previous motherboard was a 7 series motherboard, and I'm pretty sure this one is a 6 series motherboard. So ok it's not a dead mobo, I'm glad to hear that.

So I will go in and exchange it for a 7 series MB. I just sort of thought it was the RAM because of the three beeps you know?

Thank you for your help.

Hmm, interesting that the first board was a 7 series board, but DOA's do happen, unfortunately.

At least the problem with the second one is just incompatibility.

And you're welcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.