Solved

A not-so-tech-savvy person looking for help.

Hi, I want to start off by saying I'm not all that knowledgeable on these sort of things, so trying to find something on my own is a pretty hard task.

So I bought a Gateway LX6810-01 about two years ago, and I've only recently began to have interest in upgrading the graphics card that came with it (Nvidia GeForce GT 120). However, a lot of cards on Newegg don't list how much Wattage is required for that card, and I know my computer's power supply can only support up to 400 watts. Not only that, I hear that you also have to be sure of whether your motherboard is compatible with whatever new card you're looking to buy, and I'm clueless as to what my motherboard is compatible with. So I'd very much so like some suggestions on what type of card I should be looking to buy, something within the $100-130$ or so price range.

Thank you very much in advance.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tech savvy person help
  1. You'd probably be safe getting any card without a added power connector(powered by just the PCI slot). Read some reviews

    Check this out; http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2127030.html
  2. Pick up this card it will work in any computer and it is decent.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161315
  3. jeepster50 said:
    You'd probably be safe getting any card without a added power connector(powered by just the PCI slot). Read some reviews

    Check this out; http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2127030.html


    Really? So there wouldn't be any sort of risk in using something that may require a higher than 400 watt power supply? For instance, I was just talking to my friend who had her brother build a computer for her, and the card he got for her was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390&cm_re=ASUS_ENGTX460-_-14-121-390-_-Product and from what she tells me, it's pretty great. So I could run something like this with no real risks or anything?
  4. Best answer
    With a 400 watt power supply you can easily get any lower end card,likejeepster50 said, that doesn't require an external power connector(more power from the power supply).Which is perfect because with your budget the only cards that are availible to you are the ones that don't require additional power.

    This card should fit your needs quite well...

    XFX 6670 $100=$85 after MIR + $7 Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150545&cm_re=6670-_-14-150-545-_-Product

    I chose a single slot card because I know that space is very limited with store bought computer like a Gateway PC.So you need all the space you can get for airflow and so you don't block other slots for other future upgrades.

    What resoultion is your monitor?

    Do you happen to know what your processor is? (speed and model#)
    How much RAM you have?

    What type of games are you trying to play?

    Answering those questions will give me a better idea of what type of card your looking for and how well games will play with it on your current PC.You can find all that information,if you don't already know,by "Right Clicking" on "My Computer" and selecting the 'Properties" tab.In their it should list all the info on your PC.
  5. Aleaxander said:
    Really? So there wouldn't be any sort of risk in using something that may require a higher than 400 watt power supply? For instance, I was just talking to my friend who had her brother build a computer for her, and the card he got for her was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390&cm_re=ASUS_ENGTX460-_-14-121-390-_-Product and from what she tells me, it's pretty great. So I could run something like this with no real risks or anything?



    No this is false the card requires an extra power connector and your 400w psu is probably an crappy small brand that come from oems. The card I suggested would work fine. If you are looking for something better the 6670 is probably the best card you can buy without extra power conenctors.
  6. Take a look at my post^
  7. I was typing when you where typing so I could not have known you had posted.
  8. purple stank said:
    With a 400 watt power supply you can easily get any lower end card,likejeepster50 said, that doesn't require an external power connector(more power from the power supply).Which is perfect because with your budget the only cards that are availible to you are the ones that don't require additional power.

    This card should fit your needs quite well...

    XFX 6670 $100=$85 after MIR + $7 Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150545&cm_re=6670-_-14-150-545-_-Product

    I chose a single slot card because I know that space is very limited with store bought computer like a Gateway PC.So you need all the space you can get for airflow and so you don't block other slots for other future upgrades.

    What resoultion is your monitor?

    Do you happen to know what your processor is? (speed and model#)
    How much RAM you have?

    What type of games are you trying to play?

    Answering those questions will give me a better idea of what type of card your looking for and how well games will play with it on your current PC.You can find all that information,if you don't already know,by "Right Clicking" on "My Computer" and selecting the 'Properties" tab.In their it should list all the info on your PC.


    Oh right. I probably should have mentioned most of that in my first post.

    Monitor Res: 1680 x 1050 (Native)
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34 Ghz
    Ram: 8.00GB
    Vista 64-bit (If that matters)

    Games I play the most would be Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Torchlight, World of Warcraft, and Spiral Knights. For the most part, I'm able to run things decently on medium settings (Or some settings on High for TF2 and WoW), but even with medium settings, LoL and Spiral Knights both play at around 30 FPS and Torchlight even staggers a little with so many enemies on screen. I'm hoping to find something that will let me play Diablo 3 pretty decently with decent settings whenever it comes out, but I doubt I could find anything to run it really well with what I've got.
  9. If you like that 460=$115 (nice card) Than you'll need This for $60; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194059
    Total: $175 after rebates.
  10. this is a pretty cool cheap graphics card.

    MSI HD5670 twin frozr. $77 or $47 after rebate.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127523&cm_re=5670-_-14-127-523-_-Product

    Sapphire HD5670 if you dont like rebates. $70 or $60 after rebate.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-871-_-Product
  11. At your resoultion and processor with the 6670 or 5670(practictly the same card) you should be close to maxing out those games.
  12. purple stank said:
    At your resoultion and processor with the 6670 or 5670(practictly the same card) you should be close to maxing out those games.


    I see. Thanks a lot for your help!
  13. Best answer selected by Aleaxander.
  14. Your Weclome.

    Which card did you end up buying?
  15. purple stank said:
    Your Weclome.

    Which card did you end up buying?


    I'm going with the original card you suggested (6670). Aside from the games I mentioned above, I'm not planning on playing much else, so basically nothing terribly demanding. So I figure I'll skip out on the nifty Asus card and updated Power Supply and just wait until my computer is outdated, and attempt to build a new one for myself a few years from now.
  16. Well to tell you the truth your processor is already outdated but the games you play don't require a whole lot of CPU power so your still good on that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product