A not-so-tech-savvy person looking for help.

Aleaxander

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hi, I want to start off by saying I'm not all that knowledgeable on these sort of things, so trying to find something on my own is a pretty hard task.

So I bought a Gateway LX6810-01 about two years ago, and I've only recently began to have interest in upgrading the graphics card that came with it (Nvidia GeForce GT 120). However, a lot of cards on Newegg don't list how much Wattage is required for that card, and I know my computer's power supply can only support up to 400 watts. Not only that, I hear that you also have to be sure of whether your motherboard is compatible with whatever new card you're looking to buy, and I'm clueless as to what my motherboard is compatible with. So I'd very much so like some suggestions on what type of card I should be looking to buy, something within the $100-130$ or so price range.

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
With a 400 watt power supply you can easily get any lower end card,likejeepster50 said, that doesn't require an external power connector(more power from the power supply).Which is perfect because with your budget the only cards that are availible to you are the ones that don't require additional power.

This card should fit your needs quite well...

XFX 6670 $100=$85 after MIR + $7 Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150545&cm_re=6670-_-14-150-545-_-Product

I chose a single slot card because I know that space is very limited with store bought computer like a Gateway PC.So you need all the space you can get for airflow and so you don't block other slots for other future upgrades.

What resoultion is your...

Aleaxander

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Really? So there wouldn't be any sort of risk in using something that may require a higher than 400 watt power supply? For instance, I was just talking to my friend who had her brother build a computer for her, and the card he got for her was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390&cm_re=ASUS_ENGTX460-_-14-121-390-_-Product and from what she tells me, it's pretty great. So I could run something like this with no real risks or anything?

With a 400 watt power supply you can easily get any lower end card,likejeepster50 said, that doesn't require an external power connector(more power from the power supply).Which is perfect because with your budget the only cards that are availible to you are the ones that don't require additional power.

This card should fit your needs quite well...

XFX 6670 $100=$85 after MIR + $7 Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150545&cm_re=6670-_-14-150-545-_-Product

I chose a single slot card because I know that space is very limited with store bought computer like a Gateway PC.So you need all the space you can get for airflow and so you don't block other slots for other future upgrades.

What resoultion is your monitor?

Do you happen to know what your processor is? (speed and model#)
How much RAM you have?

What type of games are you trying to play?

Answering those questions will give me a better idea of what type of card your looking for and how well games will play with it on your current PC.You can find all that information,if you don't already know,by "Right Clicking" on "My Computer" and selecting the 'Properties" tab.In their it should list all the info on your PC.

Solution

mute20

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

No this is false the card requires an extra power connector and your 400w psu is probably an crappy small brand that come from oems. The card I suggested would work fine. If you are looking for something better the 6670 is probably the best card you can buy without extra power conenctors.

Aleaxander

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Oh right. I probably should have mentioned most of that in my first post.

Monitor Res: 1680 x 1050 (Native)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34 Ghz
Ram: 8.00GB
Vista 64-bit (If that matters)

Games I play the most would be Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Torchlight, World of Warcraft, and Spiral Knights. For the most part, I'm able to run things decently on medium settings (Or some settings on High for TF2 and WoW), but even with medium settings, LoL and Spiral Knights both play at around 30 FPS and Torchlight even staggers a little with so many enemies on screen. I'm hoping to find something that will let me play Diablo 3 pretty decently with decent settings whenever it comes out, but I doubt I could find anything to run it really well with what I've got.

Aleaxander

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I see. Thanks a lot for your help!

Aleaxander

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I'm going with the original card you suggested (6670). Aside from the games I mentioned above, I'm not planning on playing much else, so basically nothing terribly demanding. So I figure I'll skip out on the nifty Asus card and updated Power Supply and just wait until my computer is outdated, and attempt to build a new one for myself a few years from now.