Asus G73jh cpu overheating

jack92

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello,
My laptops CPU has been overheating, reaching temps of up to 95 degrees on idle. I have replaced the stock thermal paste on the CPU with arctic silver 5. I've put it all back together but it still sits at 95 degrees, even after cleaning the filters.
I read that I should remove the AMD catalyst install manager and update it. I updated it but still no luck.
The warranty is also out of date.
I would really appreciate any help...

Jack

jack92

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
thanks muffin, I'll see how it looks in a couple of days. However I have a laptop cooler but it doesn't help much. the temperature reading are while using the cooler.

jack92

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

I've been using speed fan, and i also checked it out in the bios. i'll get back to you on the ones you suggested for the GPU

jack92

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
After updating my amd catalyst package I've now been receiving grey screens with lines on it. GSOD. I have no other option but to shut it down. I read I might need to update my vbios.
The forum was a year old so I'm guessing it's been superseded. If I was to just reformatt windows, would it automatically update most components possibly fixing the GSOD and the absurd temperature?

Thanks

jack92

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Yes, just the AMD catalyst install package though. I would like to just run through a re-format but i can't risk having the computer on for that amount of time.
Any ideas muffin? Thanks for your help as well

jack92

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Yes that is correct. Another thing about the CPU is that it's constantly at 100% load while idling.

jack92

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Sorry amuffin, what do you mean by that? I may have used the wrong words there, but while in task manager i go to the "performance" tab and it says the CPU usage is at 100%. I have never overclocked it but could it perhaps for some reason be set to a higher frequency therefore making it over heat?