badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I have been doing some serious thinking of building a new PC just for the hell of it and the fun in doing it. With that in mind I plan on building this off of the Antec 1200 platform with the new AMD FX-8170 CPU.

Specs:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX Mobo

8-16GB DDR3 Dual Channel Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz Ram

CrossfireX XFX 6970 2GB cards

Thermaltake Tough Power Grand 1200w PSU

Corsair Force GT 120GB SATA III SSD's 2x Raid 0

Corsair H100 (for CPU)

Silverstone Raven RV03 with Red, white and silver paint

Liquid cooling loop will look as if AMD is feeding off Nvidia with black blocks, barbs, clamps etc but UV alien green coolant

Mod/Smart SS Kobra single braid cables (white, red and black)

I am looking at around $4K for the complete build with liquid cooling!

I will post pics as the build goes on!

lp231

Splendid
Bulldozer isn't out yet
3x CFX is stupid with that board because it runs at x16/x16/x8
I've heard RAID on SSD don't suport TRIM and relies on garbage collection
Antec cases are now garbage, build quality sucks. Look at Cooler Master HAF series or the upcoming Cosmos II
Grab 2x HD6990 in quad CFX at x16/x16!

If you already started, then do post some pics!

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
ASROCK FATAL1TY 990FX- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157267 200$

Corsair AX1200 & Corsair 8gb 1866mhz- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.703311 325$$

Silverstone Raven RV03- http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Extended-90-Degree-Motherboard-RV03B-W/dp/B004X19B02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313893387&sr=8-1 140$

OCZ RevoDrive 3- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227740 600$

if the h100 is not permanent just get a h60

+1 to the 2 6990's. you are definitely going to want to get them water cooled

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

When you said antec cases are now garbage, which cases did you mean? cause their performance, sonata, and even many of their gaming cases are top notch.

One does not associate antec with garbage....

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Please don't tell me about things that you have "heard" of unless its true!!!
Antec 1200 is the case I am using period!

I have a HAF 932 for my i7 pc and its great but does not offer too much for liquid cooling.

I posted these specs because that's what I am doing so please don't reply saying its garbage and the 6990 isn't manufactured anymore, it was a limited edition card.

So what if the PCI-E lanes run at x16.x16,x8 I am not building for performance I am building for pleasure and looks.
I might just go with two MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozer III's liquid cooled.

The bulldozer is coming out soon so as soon as I get the case in two weeks I will start to do the build and post pics!

Name a board set up for tri vid cards that doesn't run three cards at x8? They all do. Just like most boards run dual cards @ x8.

I'm no fan of a tri vid card set up, but I'm just saying that it's always been tri cards @ x8

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
There was a video on youtube with a test of running x16,x16 - x8,x8 and there was really not a significant performance drop when running at either so I don't see any issues when running x16,x16,x8 and like I said I may just go with a couple 6950's.

Let's be honest...you started this thread for "show and tell". Any serious gamer would never put together a build like you have. An enthusiast that does this for a hobby yes, but a gamer...no hardly. There's so many reasons I can post as to why building a water cooled AMD rig when Sandy Bridge is out is crazy at best.

Some people restore cars as a hobby, some scuba dive, and it looks like you make enthusiast builds hence the reason you posted about having that case "air brushed white".

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I enjoy building any PC either it be for gamers or just to do it and part of the reason I am building this rig is for the new line of AMD cpu's and GPU's...I could care less if I am going to use it for gaming or benchmarking! And yes airbrushed white, red, green and black colors will be in it!

My apologies if I may have offended anybody!

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
The 240hz is for the LG's 3D capability but it was a thought and still is...I have never used 3D as I can't find any glasses that will work with my prescription corrective glasses :(. If I can't go with 3D I will just get the ACER LED 27" moniter.

And with the offending thing, I just don't want this topic with this build to turn into a rage fest! lol

lp231

Splendid

This is what I said in another thread on Antec cases

Antec used to be good back in the old days. I still remember them full tower cases they have and Alienware will use those on their
premium setups. My favorite case from Antec have always been the Sonata with its sound dampening side panels and black piano finish. Over the years that cases have change a lot, but the original was the best among all the newer revisions. Once I was building with a Sonata Elite and the railing holes were way off. When optical drive was installed it was protruding out a inch making the face
impossible to close. Had to drill some holes into the rails for it to fit properly. Not good if you pay over $100 for that type of QC.
The other good case from Antec is the P series like P180, it's extremely quiet and it's included 3 speed case fan are a plus.
There is even a P180 mini for those going the mATX route.
Now Antec cases are garbage, there is no style, functionality have been reduced bit and right now they mostly focus on the exterior.
Make case look like Optimus Prime, add lots of LED fans, slap a heavy price then justified with "Gaming Case" and watch suckers buy it.

For those looking for a sleek case without the added garbage check out
Fractal Design
Cooler Master Cosmos
Silverstone
Corsair
Lian Li

@Why_Me
There are boards that can run tri CFX or SLI at full x16/x16/x16
As of right now SNB are mainstream, when SNB-E arrives then you may see boards that has it. You can also expect Asus to name their X79 ROG as "Rampage".
Here is a 1366 board that do just that
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131358

@OP
You probably haven't look hard enough :sarcastic:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hd6990&x=0&y=0
While they may be no significant difference, having a card getting reduced to x8 while the other 2 are running at x16, does give
that feeling of "reduced performance".
Board makers should incorporate a onboard switch or bios setting that allows either the last PCIe x16 to be disable so that way
that extra 8 PCIe lanes can be allocated to the 3rd PCIe x16 slot. If they can do that, then you will get Tri SLI or CFX and full x16.

If I remember correctly, some current Asus ROG board have actual HW swtich to disable a PCIe x16 slot.
here's one
It's next to them onboard RS switch

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Haha who would've thought such a post would get so many haters :p

Build looks good, but take the advice from mjmjpfaff and please post some benches when your done, would really like to see how it performs.

Sorry but I hate seeing rubbish posted so my two cents:

3x CFX is stupid with that board because it runs at x16/x16/x8
You will not notice any discernible difference between x16/x16/x8 vs x16/x8/x8 or x16/16 vs x8/x8 or whatever combination you throw in there. The difference in FPS will be at most 1-2% depending on resolution.

and Im done...

On a side note trifire 6970's is better value than quadfire 6990's not to mention that AMD's drivers seem to have increasing issues the more GPU's you add. Either set up will give you a width of 2GB VRAM and 3*6970 scales better than 2*6990. Not to mention that 6970's OC much better than 6990's (which come underclocked as standard anyway).

In terms of watercooling, it is not necessary for the 6990's provided you have good airflow and space between the cards, though the reference fans are bloody loud! If your going to OC or dont have decent airflow and have an extra $200 per card for water blocks I would like to see what numbers you could push out of them for sure@

Anyway nothing wrong with showing off your muscle, but do post some bench's :)

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

Fractal design makes a great quiet case but to say the quality of the fractal design case is better than that of the p183 borders on absurd. have you felt the foam on the fractal define side panels?

I have absolutely no interest in Antec's gaming line but their performance and sonata series are the industry standard in silence....

lp231

Splendid

TLDR?

While they may be no significant difference, having a card getting reduced to x8 while the other 2 are running at x16, does give that feeling of "reduced performance".
If you spend over $1,000 on this tri CFX setup, will you mind the board you're getting is going to
reduce one of the graphic cards to half of its full potential?
If there are two boards...
A: supports tri-GPU at full x16
B: 3rd card reduced to x8, what will you pick, and why?

@chillin
I did mention the P series as well as the Sonata are one of the better Antec line ups.

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
My comment was not to recommend any board over another, or 8 lanes over 16, it was to question the malevolence with which it was stated with an obvious absence of knowledge or research.

Again, half of its full potential? need I reiterate my first paragraph?

My apologies to Badoosh, I do not want to fill his thread with irrelevant banter, but such ill-informed posts annoy me, I will stop here. Good luck with the build and do post some bench's.

so crossfire and SLI are stupid with sandy bridge because ALL the motherboards run at 8x/ 8x ?

lp231

Splendid

Just don't like how triple video card setup are running at right now, but I won't mind if they're either running at dual or triple x8.
Although to spend nearly $400 on a board and that's what you get is unacceptable.
AMD chipset are currently doing a better job. At least it supports 2-way SLI or CFX at x16/x16 :sarcastic:

Agree?
2-way CFX x16/x4: No
2-way SLI or CFX at x8/x8 or x16/x16: Yes
3-way SLI or CFX all running at x8 or x16: Yes
3-way SLI or CFX at x16/x16/x8: No

BTW: I made a mistake with that suggestion. 2x HD6990 won't run it at full x16/x16.
It runs it at x8/x8

TRENDING THREADS