Sign in with
Your question

Will netgear wpn824 work in wifi hotspots

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 21, 2011 12:07:00 PM

Hello,
Been googling, but having trouble getting a clear answer. If I use a Verizon 2200 WIFI as my ISP, how can I use my Netgear WPN824 connected to my desktop, and then eliminate the need for a USB-WIFI dongle for the desktop?

Thanks in advance for any insight, keep it simple please.

Running WinXP sp2.
January 21, 2011 12:37:43 PM

applepicker64 said:
Hello,
Been googling, but having trouble getting a clear answer. If I use a Verizon 2200 WIFI as my ISP, how can I use my Netgear WPN824 connected to my desktop, and then eliminate the need for a USB-WIFI dongle for the desktop?

If your dongle can pick up the signal from the WiFi Hotspot, you will no longer need the router. Is it connected to a different ISP through the telephone line at the moment? If so, check out the WiFi speed and consistency before cancelling your other ISP.

m
l
January 21, 2011 1:14:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Let me clarify, i do not have a dongle yet, and don't want to buy one if it's not needed. More importantly, I expect to put the Verizon MIFI2200 upstairs for better reception, and keep the desktop in the basement office.

Currently the wpn824 IS connected to the internet via a "rural over-the-radio-waves" "broadband?" isp, with speeds that range from 100 - 900 kbs. I have a antenna on my roof that looks like a fat frisbee pointed at a line-of-sight radio tower 4 miles away. An ethernet cable runs from the antenna into the wpn824, and a cable then runs from the wpn824 into the desktop. I plan to replace this ISP with Verizon's MIFI 2200.

So, how can we get the Netgear WPN824 to get it's internet connection from the MIFI2200 upstairs? I don't want to buy anymore hardware, no bridges, no adapters, not even a dongle (yes, i know they can be bought for $10 on eBay).

Surely, there must be a way that the Netgear WPN824 wireless router can get the internet from the Verizon MIFI2200, dontcha think? The kicker is that there's no usable USB or ethernet ports on the MIFI2200. I can plug the desktop directly into the MIFI2200 but this disables the WIFI.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
m
l
!