Can I use my card withut a fan?

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hello,

My old motherboard went bust a couple of months ago and I replaced it with another. When replacing the motherboard the technician said my graphics card's fan was woprking slowly so he didn't install the card on my new motherboard. However now I am finding myself with ther need to install the graphics card to play games. I checked the card and saw that the circuit below the truning fan that gets the power from the card to run was broken, so I removed the fan form the card. I do not know if the card is functioning but if it is, I would like to try to use it. My questions thus are: 1. Can I use this card without the fan (it still has a heat sink on it, just no fan)? and 2. could I face any issues if I place this card onto the new motherboard (if it is broken, for example, or if it has another problem)? My card is an ATi HD 3650.

My specs:
CPU: Q8200
RAM: 4 gb
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
PSU 300W

I appreciate your help....

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
1.Yes u can, the GPUs circuit itself will still run, but u will need another fan to blow ur card and keep it cool

2.A Broken GPU will not Break ur motherboard, unless somehow the capacitors are one of those used on the Delorean Time Machine and they exploded.... :lol:

3.HD3650s fans are suppose to be slow and weak, I own one, but with GDDR4

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me about a proıgram that I can use to monitor the heta on my GPU and or cpu so I can see how much more cooling I need for the device now?

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
There is a key thing in the middle of CCC, above the other shaded controls.
just unlock the card there and wala.......

ok is this key thing on the card itself (hardware) or on the CCC interface (software)? so basically is the the unlock a hardware or software unlock? Also, all this business about the CCC is to do what exactly- manipulate the graphics card fan speed?