Sign in with
Your question
Solved

pcie slots dont work

Last response: in Motherboards
August 22, 2012 3:41:19 AM

I have an Asus P8Z77V Deluxe mobo and using a graphics card in my PCIex16 slot. I am trying to get a TV card, PCIe to work and slots 1,4, and 5 will not recognize the card is plugged in. Software will not install since no PCI card recognized in slot. With this mobo so new and the WinTV HD card (TV tuner) being so old, but PCIe I can't find others that have problems getting the PCIe slots to work. Nothing out there in the forums on how to tweak this advanced Asus bios for PCIe slot 4 help. Slot 1 and 2 can be addressed with bios. Please help.

More about : pcie slots dont work

a c 168 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 115 U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 4:36:38 AM

Which CPU do you have?

The Ivybridge processors allow for additional PCIe configurations that aren't available on the Sandybridge processors, namely the 8/4/4 configuration. This means that on many 7 series chipsets one of the 16x slots will not work if a Sandybridge processor is used rather than an Ivybridge processor.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 1:51:43 PM

What TV card? you can't use an out-dated TV card with Windows 7, or later than a Pentium 4.

You need a graphics card so that the TV card can synchronise wth the GPU, you can't synch with onboard video out, usually a nvidia GPU is best.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 11:33:48 AM

Pinhedd said:
Which CPU do you have?

The Ivybridge processors allow for additional PCIe configurations that aren't available on the Sandybridge processors, namely the 8/4/4 configuration. This means that on many 7 series chipsets one of the 16x slots will not work if a Sandybridge processor is used rather than an Ivybridge processor.

Intel 3770K CPU (IVY)

Thanks
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 115 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 11:35:18 AM

If that tuner card is rather old it's possible that it's toast and/or just won't work properly.
m
l
August 23, 2012 11:37:48 AM

TenPc said:
What TV card? you can't use an out-dated TV card with Windows 7, or later than a Pentium 4.

You need a graphics card so that the TV card can synchronise wth the GPU, you can't synch with onboard video out, usually a nvidia GPU is best.

I have a nvidia GPU 550TI Geoforce. The card is bought new from Amazon but "newer" with PCIe rather than my "older" PCI TV cards in other builds. I think my brand new board in my build has too few users to have run into this specific problem with the WinTV HVR 1250. I can't find on any of the threads how to make the PCIe 4 slot recognize the TV card. Thanks.
m
l
August 23, 2012 11:41:23 AM

Pinhedd said:
If that tuner card is rather old it's possible that it's toast and/or just won't work properly.

Bought new but probably is 3-4 year old hardware. Good luck with prior WinTV PCI cards so for my new build with PCIe slots this was reasonable choice. After sleep/hibernation at initial wake up my system tray gives a message that the WinTV Hauppauge TV card was installed. It never is visable in devise manager (I may not know where it would land) and I can't get drivers to install because it says no hardware detected. Windows Media Center also gives message no TV tuner and won't set up.
m
l

Best solution

a c 168 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 115 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 11:49:56 AM

indygi said:
Bought new but probably is 3-4 year old hardware. Good luck with prior WinTV PCI cards so for my new build with PCIe slots this was reasonable choice. After sleep/hibernation at initial wake up my system tray gives a message that the WinTV Hauppauge TV card was installed. It never is visable in devise manager (I may not know where it would land) and I can't get drivers to install because it says no hardware detected. Windows Media Center also gives message no TV tuner and won't set up.

I've seen that happen with broken devices in the past. They can be identified by their hardware ID but won't respond when it comes time to install the drivers. Time to RMA I think
August 26, 2012 5:21:01 PM

Thanks. I sent back the 1st one but plugged this new replacement card into another computer and it was recognized by Windows 7 immediately. So I'll just keep it plugged into my new build until hopefully someone with this board has a similar PCIe problem that will help me troubleshoot further. Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2013 9:21:50 PM

WinTv cards don't usually occupy PCIe slots, only the PCI slots.
m
l
!