Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't detect tpm device

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 22, 2012 8:25:31 AM

I have an asus m2n68 am plus MB and two hard drives. When both the hard drives are plugged in, it doesn't go beyond the boot screen. But when i disconnect the secondary hard drive, it boots. Any thoughts on disabling the error message?

More about : detect tpm device

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 10:17:00 AM

What's on that second hard drive? It looks like there may be some cryptographic software in the boot chain that's looking for a TPM dongle to be installed on the motherboard.
m
0
l
August 22, 2012 11:19:41 AM

Pinhedd said:
What's on that second hard drive? It looks like there may be some cryptographic software in the boot chain that's looking for a TPM dongle to be installed on the motherboard.

I'm not sure but i believe that i've enabled bitlocker on the secondary hard drive. I tried disabling when the hard drive was working fine but i couldn't. :( 
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 22, 2012 11:19:47 AM

Pinhedd said:
What's on that second hard drive? It looks like there may be some cryptographic software in the boot chain that's looking for a TPM dongle to be installed on the motherboard.

I'm not sure but i believe that i've enabled bitlocker on the secondary hard drive. I tried disabling when the hard drive was working fine but i couldn't. :( 
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 11:45:44 AM

vin20 said:
I'm not sure but i believe that i've enabled bitlocker on the secondary hard drive. I tried disabling when the hard drive was working fine but i couldn't. :( 


Bitlocker does support TPM for storing the keys. If you have a TPM on the previous motherboard you can move it over. I don't use bitlocker and I haven't used TPM so I can't really help you there. That would explain why it's looking for it though.
m
0
l
August 22, 2012 4:38:13 PM

Pinhedd said:
Bitlocker does support TPM for storing the keys. If you have a TPM on the previous motherboard you can move it over. I don't use bitlocker and I haven't used TPM so I can't really help you there. That would explain why it's looking for it though.

I did receive a replacement board a while ago but the problem is very recent. This problem only surfaced after a power failure(including backup.)
m
0
l
August 22, 2012 4:39:04 PM

Pinhedd said:
Bitlocker does support TPM for storing the keys. If you have a TPM on the previous motherboard you can move it over. I don't use bitlocker and I haven't used TPM so I can't really help you there. That would explain why it's looking for it though.

I did receive a replacement board a while ago but the problem is very recent. This problem only surfaced after a power failure(including backup.)
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 11:36:03 PM

hmm.. interesting. Well, If the data isn't crucial you can just wipe the drive using PartedMagic or something.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 2:20:53 AM

Pinhedd said:
hmm.. interesting. Well, If the data isn't crucial you can just wipe the drive using PartedMagic or something.

How do you suggest i do that? The pc doesn't boot or work when the secondary drive is connected. :( 
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 3:28:18 AM

vin20 said:
How do you suggest i do that? The pc doesn't boot or work when the secondary drive is connected. :( 


Use PartedMagic.

SATA drives are hotswappable so just leave the hard drive plugged in but with the SATA power disconnected. Boot into PartedMagic and plug the drive in. Once that's done, just use the Erase Disk tool to erase the disk. You can either write zeroes to the entire disk in software or run the ATA internal Secure Erase command which will do it for you in hardware instead. Do not ever write zeroes to an SSD though, always use Secure Erase to erase an SSD. Erasing an hard drive using Secure Erase can take a couple of hours and during this time it will be completely unresponsive so leave the computer alone. Erasing an SSD is nearly instant.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 3:34:21 AM

Pinhedd said:
Use PartedMagic.

SATA drives are hotswappable so just leave the hard drive plugged in but with the SATA power disconnected. Boot into PartedMagic and plug the drive in. Once that's done, just use the Erase Disk tool to erase the disk. You can either write zeroes to the entire disk in software or run the ATA internal Secure Erase command which will do it for you in hardware instead. Do not ever write zeroes to an SSD though, always use Secure Erase to erase an SSD. Erasing an hard drive using Secure Erase can take a couple of hours and during this time it will be completely unresponsive so leave the computer alone. Erasing an SSD is nearly instant.

Thanks for your help. I will be trying this. :) 
m
0
l
!