Unable to play PC games in 5.1

Travel_Dude

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hi guys,

After searching the threads I am unable to find exactly what I am looking for.

Here is my scenario:
Onboard Sound via Realtek HD Audio Manager
Sony Amplifier with all the appropriate decoders
Optical Cable from the back of the PC to the amplifier
Inwall speakers.

Problem:
I do not get 5.1 while play games.
I want my PC to run all the audio data uncompressed to my amplifier.
Then I want my amplifier to decode the signal and run 5.1 for gaming.

I have figured out for movies I need to use the ffdshow icon and set the S/PIDF output to "passthrough". My movies will now run 5.1 and the blue light turns on on my amp.

How do I get 5.1 for gaming? I've tried both battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 and Skyrim.

Thanks for your help!
Daniel.

tomasbird

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
spkrs.png

This worked for me in Skyrim. Tick only the Speaker Fill option though, the other two options made NPC voices very weird (very deep and too bass-like).

Optical Cable from the back of the PC to the amplifier

Figured that before I read the thread:

Optical can carry one of three audio formats:
2.0 PCM
5.1 Dolby Digital
5.1 DTS

All PC audio is uncompressed PCM, which optical can NOT transmit as 5.1 over optical. Only Dolby/DTS tracks can be passed through as 5.1 via optical [which is why, if you watched a movie with a DD/DTS track, you'd get 5.1 in that movie, but not in games].

Your only option to get 5.1 out of the optical port for games is to buy a soundcard with a realtime encoder to either Dolby or DTS [which most do, for this very reason].

Also FYI, the only thing "speaker fill" does is repeat the front channels onto the side/rear speakers; it doesn't give 5.1, just copies the stereo signal to the other speakers.