deathbydonut

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I think I finally have an almost complete list for my new gaming rig build and just need to know that the items I picked do not suck and that there are not better items for same or less $$.

Please any critiques would be GREATLY appreciated. Mainly getting this rig for games like Battlefield 3 and SWTOR, and some future proofing to I dont have to upgrade anytime soon, will be playing at 1920 x 1080. For any recommendations, I cannot spend anymore than I currently have in this list, as I am totally tapped out, however if there is any other items that I should go with that would give me good value/performance, would love to hear about them...
Here goes:

Case - Antec Nine Hundred (from previous build)
CPU - I5 2500K 3.3Ghz (want to OC to 4.5ghz)
CPU - Cooler Hyper 212+
Mobo - AsRock P67 Fatility Pro (Is it ridiculous that I like it because its red and its Toms Pick?)
Mem - Gskill Ripjaw PC12800 1600 2 x 4GB (also red :)
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint T3 1TB
GPU - 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB in SLI
PSU - PCPower 750W Quad Silencer (from previous build)
Sound Card - Sound Blaster Fatality Xtreme Gamer (from previous build - would mobo default sound be better?)
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I appreciate any help

This is a good system. The only thing that comes to mind is that you can save $50 by buying a different MB. The Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 pretty much matches the fatality Pro feature for feature except that it only supports 2 way SLI, instead of the Fatality's 3 way SLI. So, if you aren't going to do 3 way sli, save yourself some money.

roald

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Only thing i can see that can realy improve your experience if you have the money to burn is an SDD. They are pricey but it gives your system an overall snappy feeling with everything you do.

deathbydonut

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
SSD would be nice, but Im totally tapped out of funds. Might be an option later on down the road. Would the GA P67 UD4 mobo be better since I already have GFX cards?

The MB is a bit pricey though and its the main thing im concerned about in this build. Need something that OC's well and has SLI capabilities, not really thinking about going 3x GPU's.

Not sparing the horses I see, all I say is this, after 3-4 years the system will be outdated and valueless and you would have spent a pretty penny on all those features and get nothing in return.

If it is something you are dead set on and your mind and wallet are set on it, then by all means do what you must......just don't look back in regret.

duke of hazards

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Very nice build, but w/ those 2 power hungry 570's superclocked and a high on OC your CPU, your'e gonna be pushing that older 750 watt pretty hard. It's a nice PSU, but you might want to consider upgrading to 850w. You could try it and see if it works out, see what you are drawing. Other than that, looks good.

Also, don't get the Gigabyte mobo as the person above suggested if you're gonna be playing BF3 as Punkbuster is rumored to have conflicts w/ Gigabyte BIOS.

deathbydonut

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Hmm didn't know that about the Gigabyte MB's, what about the MSI GD65 or GD80? Also how does the Asus p67 Pro compare?

I know the motherboard is one of the most important parts to get right, so want to make sure to get a good one.