Was there ever a BIOS fix for 40MB RAM limit on Dell Latit..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 2:41:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

AFAIK, it's got the same connector as the later 166's that allowed up to
64MB, but the BIOS won't allow it. I'm PRAYING somebody sometime released
a fix for the BIOS to goto 64. Not even W95 works proper on 40, but 64
works ok. It seems it's just short. Nice design :(  It was made after 95
too.
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
August 16, 2005 10:28:34 PM

In comp.sys.laptops see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
: AFAIK, it's got the same connector as the later 166's that allowed up to
: 64MB, but the BIOS won't allow it. I'm PRAYING somebody sometime released
: a fix for the BIOS to goto 64. Not even W95 works proper on 40, but 64
: works ok. It seems it's just short. Nice design :(  It was made after 95
: too.

Most likely, the laptop had 8MB built in with a 32MB expansion slot.
The 32MB is probably hard-wired in the motherboard/chipset design, not
something a BIOS upgrade would fix, although it's possible. But I
wouldn't count on it. Dell would probably have any BIOS update on
their support website.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:41:46 -0700, see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>AFAIK, it's got the same connector as the later 166's that allowed up to
>64MB, but the BIOS won't allow it. I'm PRAYING somebody sometime released
>a fix for the BIOS to goto 64. Not even W95 works proper on 40, but 64
>works ok.

Windows 95B works with 4 megs RAM, on a 386SX, but IE likes at least 16.

>It seems it's just short. Nice design :(  It was made after 95 too.

40 megs is ample for 95.

>--
>For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
>Yeah, it's really a real address :)

Barry
=====
Home page