Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How come i7 (desktop) dominates Xeon (server)?

Last response: in CPUs
November 19, 2011 9:37:35 PM

I have been using this performance benchmark results http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html to select what CPUs to use on my web server and to my surprise...looks like i7 CPUs dominates the list pushing Xeon CPUs into the bush. Why is this? Why is Intel making the i7 perform better than the Xeon. Are Desktop CPUs supposed to perform better than server grade Xeon CPUs? I really don't get this and will like to know what you think or why this is so.

Also i am thinking about getting a new web server and thinking between the i7-2600 VS the Xeon E3-1245. The i7-2600 is higher up in the performance benchmark but i am thinking the Xeon E3-1245 is server grade...so what do you guys think? Should i go for the i7-2600? Or is the Xeon E3-1245 a server grade CPU for a reason?
November 19, 2011 10:13:41 PM

please provide answer...not just view question :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2011 10:44:49 PM

You want an answer? Do some research on your self. You want an instant answer? Doesn't happen that way in the REAL eorld.
Score
Related resources
November 19, 2011 10:46:17 PM

what a wonderful answer...!thanks
Score
November 19, 2011 11:20:17 PM

I'm not sure in this particular instance but usually server parts are more robust than desktop parts, that's an in general, and should be taken with a grain of salt, but I think it depends on how many processors you plan on using, with the xeons you can have some serious multi threading going on. I've only run AMD but the last two computers I had were Opteron and Athlon MPs. That was before dual core chips, now I've got a Phenom I. For a server I'd maybe check out the Magny Cours AMD stuff, lots of little processors to handle little web instruction sets. Something to think about. If your old web server runs fine, and you're looking to upgrade, and you've got 4 cores or less currently, the 2500/2600s are hard to beat in raw power.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 19, 2011 11:46:24 PM

nokia3310 said:
I have been using this performance benchmark results http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html to select what CPUs to use on my web server and to my surprise...looks like i7 CPUs dominates the list pushing Xeon CPUs into the bush. Why is this? Why is Intel making the i7 perform better than the Xeon. Are Desktop CPUs supposed to perform better than server grade Xeon CPUs? I really don't get this and will like to know what you think or why this is so.

Also i am thinking about getting a new web server and thinking between the i7-2600 VS the Xeon E3-1245. The i7-2600 is higher up in the performance benchmark but i am thinking the Xeon E3-1245 is server grade...so what do you guys think? Should i go for the i7-2600? Or is the Xeon E3-1245 a server grade CPU for a reason?

well, it isn't that the i7 is "better". It just depending on what apps are used, the I7 or the Xeon could be better in different area's.

In a typical setup, I7 would be doing desktop applications, gaming or workstation applications (like Cad, rendering, ext.)

Xeons vary (they cover a wide market) but there mainly in workstations and servers.

With Severs and WS, you mainly going to use a lot of threads, Maybe quite a bit of cache that's on the cpu (depending on the xeon cpu, you could have more cache than the desktop cpu), and maybe a little slower in clock speed to reduce temps that will allow additional cores to be added in a reasonable temp range. (Xeon cpus, can be as low as 2 GHz but they'll have 10 cores to them. so low single threaded performance but really good multi-threaded performance vs. desktop I7 were there clocked high but have low number of cores.)

Also "most" Xeons are made to be used in multiple cpu motherboard where the I7 can only be used in 1.

Now about the test results that you see, in my personal option, it more or less made for desktop environment than servers, so these bench will favor that desktop cpu's.

Now, if the Xeon has the same exact same specs as the I7 equivalent and on the same architecture like Sandy-bridge, then there going to have similar performance with the only difference is the grade of the silicon.

Now from what I know about Xeons and there desktop equivalent from other people, It should be that the Xeon is higher grade. so since they are server/workstation cpu's that are made to run heavily 24/7, they should (in theory) last longer than there desktop equivalent..... Although that's what i hear so there maybe some flaws in that.

In any case, that about sums it up. You cant compare everything apples to apples between a desktop and a server cpu since there made for different markets. What there good in one area is the others area bad side. (kinda like AMD new Bulldozer cpu's, they look pretty decent upgrade in the server market but there desktop cpu's dont hold well IMO.)

Quote:

Well after comparing both cpu specs, to the human eye they will be both identical in performance unless your going to use the graphic for anything beyond normal visual stuff. (xeon does have better graphics over the I7 unless your talking about the i7 "K" but the graphic on the xeon is more optimized for uses beyond making images on the screen. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e3-c206-workst...)

Although as a web server, the Xeon or the i7 that you've selected wont's have any benefits over each other.

So i'd say, grab what's cheaper of the 2 cpu's and save the money.
November 22, 2011 4:04:13 AM

Best answer selected by nokia3310.
Score
November 22, 2011 4:05:17 AM

warmon6 said:

Although as a web server, the Xeon or the i7 that you've selected wont's have any benefits over each other.

So i'd say, grab what's cheaper of the 2 cpu's and save the money.

What do you mean by that quote?
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
November 22, 2011 8:36:56 AM

You can run 2 cpu's where as you can't on i7 :p 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 8:46:15 AM

nokia3310 said:
What do you mean by that quote?

well what I meant is that, since you are going for a web server, you wont notice any difference between the I7 and Xeon cpu that you've selected.

So depending on what cpu is cheaper, grab the that one as it wont matter on the performance. (if the Xeon is cheaper than the I7, go after the Xeon and vice versa.)

Hope I'd made my self clearer. :hello: 
Score
!