Beware of Newegg - a former loyal customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Newegg the company we all loved during the 2000-2010 era has completely changed and are now one of the worst customer service companies I've ever dealt with.

I have ordered over 30,000 in goods from newegg and recently received a motherboard that was DOA. They claimed I damaged the board and attempted to charge me anyway, they even terminated my account! thats how Newegg rewards customer loyalty.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I'm going to guess there is a lot more behind this story than you are sharing with us.

I to have odered 10's of thousands of $ of products from them over the last few years and have never once had an issue with them, even when it was clearly my fault (ordering wrong thing thinking it was another).

9/10 you bent the CPU pins. Q - What was damaged?

edit/For NewEgg to cancel or suspend an account only a couple things come to mind: reversing charges (credit card/payment) or going off or threatening someone @ NewEgg.

I too have dealt with NewEgg for years and I have nothing but praise. I'm a hobby system builder so I have ordered plenty.

I've dropped a MOBO on a concrete floor and I only had to look in the mirror to know who was a fault. I simply re-ordered a new MOBO and have a nice paper weight.

pennywise

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I too suspect there is more to this story. Not withstanding I more or less moved away from Newegg as my first stop when I got an Amazon Prime Account. Newegg can't compete with all the benefits there. Also I live in a state where Newegg charges tax and Amazon does not.

My guess is you were a total ahole and you probably did damage the board. Go troll somewhere else.

I've been buying from Newegg since 2002, they have always gone above and beyond to help me out. Even giving me store credits and gift cards when a manufacturer didn't give me my rebate, TWICE.

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
As I've said ordered more than 30k from newegg. They sent me a Doa mobo. I've never damaged or bent pins in more than 50 comp builds. I did notice 2 of the pins had a higher height in the middle of the socket not around any corners or exposed space. I let them know and they agreed to cross ship then charged me again. So of course I disputed it. Had I bought this from amazon it would never have been an issue.

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Relax dude, I'm trying to provide a fair warning to other end users out there. I've used newegg since 2002 as well and can not believe the way I've been treated. Have some class - newegg doesn't.

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I disputed the charges. Been a loyal customer literally 25 pages of orders, never had problems with them always gave them my business. That meant nothing to them, the one time i received a DOA motherboard and then I'm accused of damaging a motherboard and treated as if I'm trying to scam newegg. I expect a working board, they could easily test and see the board doesn't post.

1) I've never damaged any items installing a computer, certainly not a motherboard as simple as installing a CPU was. I had just built another computer less then 2 weeks before without incident - so this isn't my first rodeo. Its not too hard to drop a cpu in and clip it down. The board wouldn't even post, its DOA

2) Newegg customer rep managers were complete liars - completely unexpected. Newegg attempted to send me the original motherboard approximately 2 months later. So they sat on a return for 2 months, then after I disputed the charge they decided to send it back to me with no further correspondence.

Nothing on here is trolling just a fair warning, had I known if i received a damaged board from newegg that they would somehow claim it was me at all expenses despite my long standing customer history with them - i would never have bought from them to begin with. This is like dealing with the small upstart resellers of the late 90's. Newegg is not infallible. They dont speak proper english in any of their correspondence or otherwise.

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Thats how I felt until recently, and I'm shocked thus the purpose of my post.

In order to 'scam' them the S/N would need to be different. ; example - eBay MOBO and requested refund. (bait & switch)

In order to damage the MOBO, as I said, 9/10 a bent CPU pin. ; this is by far the most common denial. They'll return the same MOBO if physically damaged.

Q - What EXACTLY was physically damaged? You're still painting the picture with a thick brush.

Keep in mind, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc will NOT reimburse anyone including NewEgg for a physically damaged MOBO.

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

The reason I say I was lied to is because i was specifically told i would not be charged during the cross shipment however 3 days later I was charged.

Well, thanks for the warning. I would say you might need to try and get in touch with some upper level customer service if you believe you've just drawn the short stick.
I don't deny your story, I just find it extremely improbable to get the account terminated for a faulty return. You would get notified and charged for the item, maybe even warned via a personal message, but not terminated.
If it was only that occurrence that might have erroneously triggered some automatic termination procedure, you can try to appeal that by talking to a live person.
If you have tried to appeal that charge and during that process verbally abused the representative, they are in their right to terminate your account.

NewEgg has an 'Expedited RMA' where essentially you get charged for a second 'component' and once they both receive and examine the 'component' you get credited back for the charge. If the 'component' is physically damaged and/or has missing components then you will not be credited for the RMA item and it gets complicated then and either you'll need to send the missing parts or NewEgg will return the 'component' until the return is fully satisfied or you bought yourself two (2) 'components'.

About the only company that I can think of that doesn't charge in a Cross Ship is APC for e.g. UPS.

Would you send out FREE stuff??

I know better on their RMA policy with 'Expedited RMA' been there, and I was not at all surprised to see both the Charge and subsequent Credit. NewEgg sent me out a series of emails with full status updates. The last email was an Invoice with a (-1) Quantity and (-) Charge (credit).

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
when looking at the motherboard under direct light, you could see a discoloration on a couple of the inner central pins. I thought that was odd, so I busted out a macro lens on my SLR -> saw that they were slightly elevated as if not set properly at the right height. not bent , crushed, twisted or anything so i'm not sure how something like that would happen especially by an end user.

davidselby

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

They assured me that there is no charge on the expedited RMA.

I haven't used their Trade-up program, but the RMA practice depends on the time frame. 30 days or less your cost is ($0). They sent me out a replacement UPS with in (2) business days, and when I went to return it I simply gave my local UPS (shipping) store APC contact information for the 'reverse' shipping cost.

APC is an EXCELLENT company. Over the years this was my second UPS that failed but I was treated like gold. I had an F02 error.

Status
Not open for further replies.