current specs :
cpu : Intel i7 860 2.8GHz
gpu : Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB
mb : Gigabyte P55A-UD3P rev.2
mem : 2*2GB DDR3 1333
hdd : WD Caviar Green 1TB
psu : Antec 550W basiq
case : Gigabyte Setto 1000

I was thinking about getting another HD 6870 & crossfire them , dont know if motherboard or case will handle them
I know I will need a better psu
Will my cpu keep up ?
If I need a newer MoBo I may switch -in the future- to AMD cpus , then if so what's better AMD or intel & what's the compatible MoBo ?
If I got another 6870 will I need cooling and does the new gpu have to be the exact same edition (i.e. Flex edition)?

I'm open for any suggestions regarding my rig , Thanks in advance

Solution
1) You will need a better PSU if your going to be using 6870 in CF. I would suggest you upgrade to atleast a 750W
2) Yes of course your CPU will keep up with it
3) Intel would be better choice due to their new LGA1155 Sandy Bridge series due to AMD not releasing anything lately that would be able to compete with Intel's Sandy Bridge series.
4) I would suggest that you get the same edition for your GPU to minimise compatibility problems across different brands

itsbighead

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
1) You will need a better PSU if your going to be using 6870 in CF. I would suggest you upgrade to atleast a 750W
2) Yes of course your CPU will keep up with it
3) Intel would be better choice due to their new LGA1155 Sandy Bridge series due to AMD not releasing anything lately that would be able to compete with Intel's Sandy Bridge series.
4) I would suggest that you get the same edition for your GPU to minimise compatibility problems across different brands

Solution

Romakh

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I need a quick reply for this one , please !
is it better to get a HD 6970 2GB or crossfireX HD 6870 (since I heard there were a lot of compatibility issues for crossfire in games) ?!
if crossfiring HD 6870 is better , my motherboard doesn't fit 2 HD 6870 (GA-P55A-UD3P , it's too big for it!!) , so PLEASE recommend a good gaming motherboard ...