Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon 4670 HD detected but not installed... Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2011 5:01:58 PM

Dear Toms,
I just put a new hard drive into my computer and according to my Device Manager my ATI Radeon 4670 HD graphics card is detected but not installed. I do not see the ATI 4670 listed as a playback option in my Sounds and Settings in my Control Panel, just the integrated SoundMAX Digital Audio is listed and enabled. I have tried enabling and disabling different settings in my BIOS and I have tried using the ATI installation CD as well as the Windows Hardware Update Wizard with NO success.
I have a yellow exclamation point in the Other Devices PCI Device category of my Device Manager. It says: The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). I have dusted, cleaned and reassembled my tower; all power cords...everything looks right. I can't seem to fix this situation, what have I done wrong and what is the solution?
Please send help
June 19, 2011 1:06:36 AM

More Info:
In my Device Manager it appears my ATI graphics card is listed in the Display Adapters category as well as the Other Devices category. Under Display Adapters it has listed: ATI Radeon 4600 series, PCI Slot 10 (PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0), and its properties reads: This device is working properly. Now, conversely, under the Other Devices category it has listed: PCI Device, PCI Slot 10 (PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1), and its properties reads: The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28).
I have tried to install (& uninstall\reinstall) these drivers from the ATI installation CD, using the Windows Hardware Update Wizard, and by going to the ATI and Sapphire Radeon web sites and NOTHING has worked.
I have also tried enabling and disabling different audio BIOS settings with NO success.
What is the solution here? Please help.
June 19, 2011 7:08:01 PM

Okay, Problem resolved.
Here is what happened: I had a complete hard drive crash. -I was receiving a DOS screen repeating the message: 'Disk Partition' with a string of numbers upon start up- I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP. My windows XP only installed Service Pack 2 on the clean drive, so I updated to Service Pack 3 on the Microsoft Updates site. After doing this I was able to -for some reason- update the drivers for my ATI Radeon 4670 HD graphics card. I was able to use both the ATI installation CD and the Windows Hardware Update Wizard without a glitch.
Now I don't know if the update to Service Pack 3 was the cure here or if i just simply got lucky on this one, but I'll take it.
Thanks to those pondering my fix.
!