ultraportable... which one?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm searching for a _used_ ultraportable laptop but I don't really know
which model fits my requirements:

- weight 1.4-1.7 kg max (3-3.7lb)
- cpu centrino >= 1.6Ghz
- lcd == 12 pollici
- hd >= 40Gb *5400rpm*
- wireless
- no cd (if present, total weight should not exceed 2kg-4.4lb)
- price 750 euro (~500 GBP)

It seems that following models have some of the above requirements:

- IBM X31
- Dell D400, D410, X300
- Benq 6000N
- HP 4010, 4200
- Asus S5200N
- Toshiba M200

Any suggestions? Other brands/models?
24 answers Last reply
More about ultraportable
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Dark wrote:
    > I'm searching for a _used_ ultraportable laptop but I don't really know
    > which model fits my requirements:
    >
    > - weight 1.4-1.7 kg max (3-3.7lb)
    > - cpu centrino >= 1.6Ghz
    > - lcd == 12 pollici
    > - hd >= 40Gb *5400rpm*
    > - wireless
    > - no cd (if present, total weight should not exceed 2kg-4.4lb)
    > - price 750 euro (~500 GBP)
    >
    > It seems that following models have some of the above requirements:
    >
    > - IBM X31
    > - Dell D400, D410, X300
    > - Benq 6000N
    > - HP 4010, 4200
    > - Asus S5200N
    > - Toshiba M200
    >
    > Any suggestions? Other brands/models?

    IBM is my preferred choice, now got 4 in the family.

    Solid and well built, but slim and lightweight (yeah, even unto my old T22 !)
    --
    Best Regards,

    David Harris
    Please remove NOSPAM & demunge address to reply :-
    g8ina((at))NOSPAMblueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Dark" <darknessRIMUOVIMI@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > I'm searching for a _used_ ultraportable laptop but I don't really know
    > which model fits my requirements:
    >
    > - weight 1.4-1.7 kg max (3-3.7lb)
    > - cpu centrino >= 1.6Ghz
    > - lcd == 12 pollici
    > - hd >= 40Gb *5400rpm*
    > - wireless
    > - no cd (if present, total weight should not exceed 2kg-4.4lb)
    > - price 750 euro (~500 GBP)
    >
    > It seems that following models have some of the above requirements:
    >
    > - IBM X31
    > - Dell D400, D410, X300
    > - Benq 6000N
    > - HP 4010, 4200
    > - Asus S5200N
    > - Toshiba M200
    >
    > Any suggestions? Other brands/models?

    Sony VAIO S-series 13" or T-series 10"

    If you can make any sense of their whacky web page that is

    rusty
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Rusty wrote:

    > "Dark" <darknessRIMUOVIMI@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm searching for a _used_ ultraportable laptop but I don't really know
    > > which model fits my requirements:
    > >
    > > - weight 1.4-1.7 kg max (3-3.7lb)
    > > - cpu centrino >= 1.6Ghz
    > > - lcd == 12 pollici
    > > - hd >= 40Gb *5400rpm*
    > > - wireless
    > > - no cd (if present, total weight should not exceed 2kg-4.4lb)
    > > - price 750 euro (~500 GBP)
    > >
    > > It seems that following models have some of the above requirements:
    > >
    > > - IBM X31
    > > - Dell D400, D410, X300
    > > - Benq 6000N
    > > - HP 4010, 4200
    > > - Asus S5200N
    > > - Toshiba M200
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? Other brands/models?
    >
    > Sony VAIO S-series 13" or T-series 10"

    Good luck with Sony's after-the-sale support, not to mention their
    exorbitantly high prices for replacement parts!

    Notan
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > Good luck with Sony's after-the-sale support, not to mention their
    > exorbitantly high prices for replacement parts!

    how bad... i was just watching these cool Vaio S-series models :(
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Dark wrote:

    > Notan wrote:
    >
    > > Good luck with Sony's after-the-sale support, not to mention their
    > > exorbitantly high prices for replacement parts!
    >
    > how bad... i was just watching these cool Vaio S-series models :(

    I'll admit that Sony's got some of *the* coolest looking notebooks on
    the market!

    From personal experience and from of plethora (Love that word!) of
    posts, over the years, direct contact with Sony is an agonizing
    experience.

    If you can get a dealer that will guarantee you good after-the-sale
    support, I'd imagine that the service couldn't be any worse than any
    of the other major brands.

    On the other hand, the price of replacement parts is set by Sony.
    Again, from personal experience and from numerous (You *can* over
    do it with "plethora!") posts, prices have always been, and will
    continue to be, extremely high.

    Notan
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In the ultraportable category
    nothing comes close to Panasonic.

    Check the R4 (10" no CD), T4 (12"
    no CD), W4 (12" w/CD-DVD) or Y4
    (14" w/CD-DVD writer). They are
    better built than anyting else
    on the market, have the best
    clearest/brightest LCD's, the
    longest battery lives, and even
    the largest one (Y4) weighs only
    3.4lb!

    I don't know where you live so I
    have no idea about market prices
    and availability in your area. If
    the 4 series is too expensive you
    may want to check the older but
    otherwise equivalent R2/T2/W2/Y2
    series.

    dk

    "Dark" <darknessRIMUOVIMI@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > I'm searching for a _used_ ultraportable laptop but I don't really know
    > which model fits my requirements:
    >
    > - weight 1.4-1.7 kg max (3-3.7lb)
    > - cpu centrino >= 1.6Ghz
    > - lcd == 12 pollici
    > - hd >= 40Gb *5400rpm*
    > - wireless
    > - no cd (if present, total weight should not exceed 2kg-4.4lb)
    > - price 750 euro (~500 GBP)
    >
    > It seems that following models have some of the above requirements:
    >
    > - IBM X31
    > - Dell D400, D410, X300
    > - Benq 6000N
    > - HP 4010, 4200
    > - Asus S5200N
    > - Toshiba M200
    >
    > Any suggestions? Other brands/models?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I recommend the IBM. IBM's are known to be very durable and my T42 is
    living up to that reputation. My experience with IBM customer service
    has been excellent. They are now owned by Lenovo, but I *assume* they
    have not made any drastic changes.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > Notan wrote:
    >
    >> Good luck with Sony's after-the-sale support, not to mention their
    >> exorbitantly high prices for replacement parts!
    >
    > how bad... i was just watching these cool Vaio S-series models :(

    Sony Support is not as bad as everybody makes out, it has it's moments but
    you do still get good service.

    We supply Sony and deal with any warranty issues that pop up for our
    customers, so they never have to deal with it at all...we are also in the
    process of supplying spare parts & repairing VAIO and hope to have that
    ready for 2006.

    We also have our own dedicated Sony Support site -
    www.support.red-cloud.co.uk - which we will be redesigning shortly to offer
    more functionality and service for our customers.

    If you have any questions on VAIO please do not hesitate to contact me.

    Thanks

    Euan.
    RCT

    W - www.red-cloud.co.uk
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > On the other hand, the price of replacement parts is set by Sony.
    > Again, from personal experience and from numerous (You *can* over
    > do it with "plethora!") posts, prices have always been, and will
    > continue to be, extremely high.

    i c... so, in this plethora of brands & models, which ultraportable
    would you suggest other than the sony vaios ? :)
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > Notan wrote:
    >
    >> On the other hand, the price of replacement parts is set by Sony.
    >> Again, from personal experience and from numerous (You *can* over
    >> do it with "plethora!") posts, prices have always been, and will
    >> continue to be, extremely high.
    >
    > i c... so, in this plethora of brands & models, which ultraportable would
    > you suggest other than the sony vaios ? :)

    I would definitely suggest *NOT* Sony.
    My experience with them has been really
    terrible. Between myself, kids, family
    and friends we've had an outragoues
    number of problems with more than
    half a dozen units.

    They are overpriced (at least here
    in the US) and unreliable, and Sony
    support and customer service varies
    from laughable to non-existent.

    Why not get a truly solid, reliable
    and well supported product for your
    hard earned money? Panasonic is the
    only laptop brand/vendor that does
    its own engineering and that offers
    3 year warranties on everything they
    sell.

    dk
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Dan Koren wrote:

    > Why not get a truly solid, reliable
    > and well supported product for your
    > hard earned money? Panasonic is the
    > only laptop brand/vendor that does
    > its own engineering and that offers
    > 3 year warranties on everything they
    > sell.

    which Panasonic model is an affordable ultraportable?
    The ones I know are all over 2000 USD...
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Dark wrote:

    > which Panasonic model is an affordable ultraportable?
    > The ones I know are all over 2000 USD...

    ops, i've seen your other post right now...
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Dan Koren wrote:

    > I don't know where you live so I
    > have no idea about market prices
    > and availability in your area. If
    > the 4 series is too expensive you
    > may want to check the older but
    > otherwise equivalent R2/T2/W2/Y2
    > series.

    AFAICS those panosonic models are really hard to find in europe (and
    buying them outside, even used, is too expensive due to import duties & vat)
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > Dan Koren wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know where you live so I
    >> have no idea about market prices
    >> and availability in your area. If
    >> the 4 series is too expensive you
    >> may want to check the older but
    >> otherwise equivalent R2/T2/W2/Y2
    >> series.
    >
    > AFAICS those panosonic models are really hard to find in europe (and
    > buying them outside, even used, is too expensive due to import duties &
    > vat)

    Sorry my advice does not seem to be
    useful....

    dk
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Dark" <darknessRIMUOVIMI@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Dan Koren wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know where you live so I
    >> have no idea about market prices
    >> and availability in your area. If
    >> the 4 series is too expensive you
    >> may want to check the older but
    >> otherwise equivalent R2/T2/W2/Y2
    >> series.
    >
    > AFAICS those panosonic models are really hard to find in europe (and
    > buying them outside, even used, is too expensive due to import duties &
    > vat)

    I don't know where you live, however
    a quick check on www.ebay.co.uk shows
    no fewer than 30 Panasonic laptops
    offered for sale, most of them at
    prices below GBP 500.

    dk
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Dan Koren wrote:

    > "Dark" <darknessRIMUOVIMI@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dan Koren wrote:
    >>

    >>>I don't know where you live so I
    >>>have no idea about market prices
    >>>and availability in your area. If
    >>>the 4 series is too expensive you
    >>>may want to check the older but
    >>>otherwise equivalent R2/T2/W2/Y2
    >>>series.
    >>
    >>AFAICS those panosonic models are really hard to find in europe (and
    >>buying them outside, even used, is too expensive due to import duties &
    >>vat)
    >

    > I don't know where you live, however
    > a quick check on www.ebay.co.uk shows
    > no fewer than 30 Panasonic laptops
    > offered for sale, most of them at
    > prices below GBP 500.

    i checked but i didn't see the above mentioned models, did you?
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "ross" <rossharold@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > I recommend the IBM. IBM's are known to be very durable and my T42 is
    > living up to that reputation. My experience with IBM customer service
    > has been excellent. They are now owned by Lenovo, but I *assume* they
    > have not made any drastic changes.

    The best customer service is the one one never needs.

    dk
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > Dan Koren wrote:
    >
    >> "Dark" <darknessRIMUOVIMI@softhome.net> wrote in message

    >>> AFAICS those panasonic models are really hard to find in europe (and
    >>> buying them outside, even used, is too expensive due to import duties &
    >>> vat)
    >>
    >> I don't know where you live, however
    >> a quick check on www.ebay.co.uk shows
    >> no fewer than 30 Panasonic laptops
    >> offered for sale, most of them at
    >> prices below GBP 500.
    >
    > i checked but i didn't see the above mentioned models, did you?

    I didn't. However, this shows the
    Panasonics are available in those
    markets, and sooner or later the
    newer models will also turn out
    on eBay. Also note that some of
    the sellers were computers shops
    with significant inventories and
    advertised systems returned from
    leases. Contact them and find out
    if some of the newer models may
    also be available.

    dk
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Depends exactly what you want, but I'm delighted with my Toshiba U100. It's
    small enough, rugged enough, and light enough to take everywhere with me
    without being an impediment.

    The small format means you can open it anywhere without it being an 'event'
    or making you seem a geek. (I find that putting a normal laptop on a table
    when you're with other non-tech people tends to erect a barrier between you
    and them). I think it's like the difference between old-style cameras and
    'wearable' cameras like the Casio Exilim - that is, it's no good having an
    all-singing all-dancing device that's too big and heavy to be with you when
    you want it; better to have a slightly compromised device that's there when
    you need it.

    Ok, the 'compromise' is a small screen and a small keyboard. But there are
    ways round the first (see my post yesterday at
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/jive3/thread.jspa?threadID=6066),
    and I found the second issue mostly disappeared after a couple of weeks of
    using it.

    But as I said, it depends what you really want :-)
    --
    David Tong

    [Please replace 'invalid' with 'com' to reply].
    "Dark" <darknessRIMUOVIMI@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > I'm searching for a _used_ ultraportable laptop but I don't really know
    > which model fits my requirements:
    >
    > - weight 1.4-1.7 kg max (3-3.7lb)
    > - cpu centrino >= 1.6Ghz
    > - lcd == 12 pollici
    > - hd >= 40Gb *5400rpm*
    > - wireless
    > - no cd (if present, total weight should not exceed 2kg-4.4lb)
    > - price 750 euro (~500 GBP)
    >
    > It seems that following models have some of the above requirements:
    >
    > - IBM X31
    > - Dell D400, D410, X300
    > - Benq 6000N
    > - HP 4010, 4200
    > - Asus S5200N
    > - Toshiba M200
    >
    > Any suggestions? Other brands/models?
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "David Tong" <gz30@btinternet.invalid> writes:

    > Depends exactly what you want, but I'm delighted with my Toshiba
    > U100. It's small enough, rugged enough, and light enough to take
    > everywhere with me without being an impediment.

    I have a Libretto 70 and I've been thinking about replacing it with a
    U100. Is the U100 screen usable in sunlight? That's my biggest gripe
    with the 70. It's been an excellent machine otherwise but something a
    bit more modern would be great, especially with USB and firewire.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

    Chris,

    Yes it's definitely usable in bright sun. In fact it's the best laptop I've
    ever had from this point of view, and better than the Tecra S1 which is my
    'main' computer. I can still read the U100 in direct sun if necessary,
    although naturally it's better to shade it a bit as you can turn down the
    brightness and use less battery power. On holiday in S. France three weeks
    ago it was perfectly usable on a table outdoors at noon. Probably a result
    of using white LEDs for the display instead of fluorescent tubes.

    David.
    --

    "Chris Eilbeck" <usenet@hyperspace.org.uk> wrote in message
    > "David Tong" <gz30@btinternet.invalid> writes:
    >
    >> Depends exactly what you want, but I'm delighted with my Toshiba
    >> U100. It's small enough, rugged enough, and light enough to take
    >> everywhere with me without being an impediment.
    >
    > I have a Libretto 70 and I've been thinking about replacing it with a
    > U100. Is the U100 screen usable in sunlight? That's my biggest gripe
    > with the 70. It's been an excellent machine otherwise but something a
    > bit more modern would be great, especially with USB and firewire.
    >
    > Chris
    > --
    > Chris Eilbeck
    > MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    > UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    > Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "David Tong" <gz30@btinternet.invalid> writes:

    > Chris,
    >
    > Yes it's definitely usable in bright sun. In fact it's the best laptop I've
    > ever had from this point of view, and better than the Tecra S1 which is my
    > 'main' computer. I can still read the U100 in direct sun if necessary,
    > although naturally it's better to shade it a bit as you can turn down the
    > brightness and use less battery power. On holiday in S. France three weeks
    > ago it was perfectly usable on a table outdoors at noon. Probably a result
    > of using white LEDs for the display instead of fluorescent tubes.

    Excellent! Thanks a lot.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > In the ultraportable category nothing comes close to Panasonic.
    I've had a lot of serious work (& fun) out of my Panasonic CF-R1N. 998grams
    2lbs 3oz 10.4in "UltraBrite" screen. I dual-boot WXP Prof & Redhat 9; did
    fiddle around updating Synaptic & Intel drivers etc. It is "fully-loaded" w.
    512MB, Bluetooth Bluetake BT009Si, WXP talks to the internet via GPRS i-mate
    SP3 (Vodafone) or wi-fi 3Com 3CRPAG175 X-Jack 802.11g/b/a . "Executive"
    version of a ToughBook - looks like a piece of jewellery, I'm even allowed
    it in the house.

    Barney
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Barney,

    Must say, I like the look of Panasonic laptops but I felt that in the UK
    (I'm in Leeds) they are not so common and not so well supported. Insight
    offer them (that's where I got my U100) but I couldn't see any easy way to
    get warranty support if needed, whereas there's a friendly accredited
    Toshiba repair outfit only an hour away from me by car. Also I'd decided I
    wanted a unit with minimum profile when opened up and in use. (For similar
    reasons of 'house acceptability' to the ones you expressed).

    Incidentally, I've been using GPRS for the first time with the U100 and it
    proved really useful very recently on a holiday in deepest Donegal which by
    Sod's Law coincided with the climax of my low-tech son-in-law's negotiations
    for a new job in the US. I was able to keep him in email contact with the
    USA via Bluetooth to my Ericsson R520 (old design phone - but new from
    Expansys earlier this year) using Orange GPRS.

    FWIW, I've finally found a BT mouse that does justice to the small size of
    the U100: the 'IOGEAR Wireless Bluetooth Mouse' . Got it this morning from
    Expansys and it seems good. (Unlike the 'Targus Bluetooth Mini Mouse' which
    is very fussy about the surface it's on and quite power greedy. The first
    specimen went back to Targus but the replacement is just as bad).

    Aren't toys wonderful?

    --

    "lapimate" <lapimate@xtra.nospam.c0.nz> wrote in message

    > "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> In the ultraportable category nothing comes close to Panasonic.
    > I've had a lot of serious work (& fun) out of my Panasonic CF-R1N.
    > 998grams 2lbs 3oz 10.4in "UltraBrite" screen. I dual-boot WXP Prof &
    > Redhat 9; did fiddle around updating Synaptic & Intel drivers etc. It is
    > "fully-loaded" w. 512MB, Bluetooth Bluetake BT009Si, WXP talks to the
    > internet via GPRS i-mate SP3 (Vodafone) or wi-fi 3Com 3CRPAG175 X-Jack
    > 802.11g/b/a . "Executive" version of a ToughBook - looks like a piece of
    > jewellery, I'm even allowed it in the house.
    >
    > Barney

Laptops Product