Compact Flash Card

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 25, 2005 11:09:07 AM

I am new to the Compact Flash Card. I had been using an Olympus
Camedia c-4000. Now I have the powershot A95. Anyway, I am about to
purchase a 512 mb compact flash card, and have noticed some say "high
speed" and some don't say that. Will that make a difference in how
fast I can take my shots? I found a good deal on one online but it
does not say high speed, so I am leary to buy it.

Thanks,
Joanne

More about : compact flash card

March 25, 2005 1:04:24 PM

>From dpreview.com:

"With write times averaging around 3.9 seconds for a 5MP Fine JPEG the
A95 is no slouch, but the transfer rate - approximately 740KB/s - means
fast cards will offer little advantage in this camera. "

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/page4.asp

You'll notice the difference between, say, a regular Sandisk 512 MB
(about 300-600mb/s speed) - and the Sandisk Ultra II (up to 2000mb/s
speed); it'll take just a half a second longer between pictures for the
camera to get ready. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it actually
will make a difference in the way a camera feels. The camera won't get
much benefit from the difference between a 4X card and a 60X card,
though, so you can buy just about anything with 4X or greater speed and
it'll do fine.

IMO, there are two ways to approach this:
1. Get the fastest card you can find - like a Sandisk Extreme or
something - and hope that you'll be able to use it for a couple camera
generations; it may not be completely obsolete in 5 years. OTOH, it may
be the equivalent of a 8" floppy....
2. Get a cheaper card for use with this camera, maybe a Kingston or
Rosewill that isn't REALLY slow, but not the fastest either, perhaps
the Transcend card here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

and accept the fact that in 5 years the world will have moved on and
the card will be obsolete.

Good Luck!
ECM
March 25, 2005 1:41:36 PM

Sorry, my mistake - a Sandisk regular card is about 600 KB/s, not
mb/s.....

ECM
March 25, 2005 2:32:23 PM

"Joanne" <joannewaters2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am new to the Compact Flash Card. I had been using an Olympus
> Camedia c-4000. Now I have the powershot A95. Anyway, I am about to
> purchase a 512 mb compact flash card, and have noticed some say "high
> speed" and some don't say that. Will that make a difference in how
> fast I can take my shots? I found a good deal on one online but it
> does not say high speed, so I am leary to buy it.

Depends. I know that isn't the answer you wanted, but what you are asking
depends on the write speed of your camera, the maximum frames per second
rate of the camera and the buffer size of the camera. Check you camera's
manual to see if it can take advantage of the faster CF cards. The manual
should also tell you about frames per second (or in some cases seconds per
frame) and buffer size.

Ron
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:37:58 PM

"Joanne" <joannewaters2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am new to the Compact Flash Card. I had been using an Olympus
> Camedia c-4000. Now I have the powershot A95. Anyway, I am about to
> purchase a 512 mb compact flash card, and have noticed some say "high
> speed" and some don't say that. Will that make a difference in how
> fast I can take my shots? I found a good deal on one online but it
> does not say high speed, so I am leary to buy it.

I don't believe that the A95 takes advantage of the high speed CF cards
(40x, 80x). If you're plugging the card into a high speed USB 2.0, or
CardBus card reader, there would be a difference in the transfer rate.

Be sure to buy a type I CF card (the type II are too thick for the A95).
Stick with Lexar, Sandisk, Dane-Elec, SimpleTech or Kingston, not the
no-name brands.

Personally, I'd advise getting a 1GB card, for a few bucks more.

I.e.http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
a=0
is $45 for a 1GB.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:37:59 PM

I concur

> Personally, I'd advise getting a 1GB card, for a few bucks more.

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:18:19 PM

Logan Spitznauer wrote:
> I concur
>

>>Personally, I'd advise getting a 1GB card, for a few bucks more.

At current prices (Fry's had Lexar for $25 after rebates this morning),
go for the Gig.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!