Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphic Adapter Setting on New Build

Last response: in Motherboards
August 22, 2012 3:11:58 PM

I am getting close to putting a new build together. I am using the ASRock Extreme4 board with an i7 processor. I initially be using the HD4000 graphics built in to the CPU. The manual says the default setting for the Primary Graphics Adapter is PCI-E. My question is will the system POST with the monitor just plugged in the VGA port or will I have to have a video card installed to get into the bios and change the setting to "Onboard"?
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 3:26:46 PM

As long as you don't go into the BIOS and mess with the settings, it should automatically select the PCIe graphics card as the default graphics device. Just make sure to move the display cable from the motherboard to the graphics card immediately after installing the card.
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:34:04 PM

JKatwyopc said:
As long as you don't go into the BIOS and mess with the settings, it should automatically select the PCIe graphics card as the default graphics device. Just make sure to move the display cable from the motherboard to the graphics card immediately after installing the card.

My question is will it POST with the monitor plugged in to the VGA port with no PCIe video card installed with the default setting PCI-E?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2012 3:15:57 AM

Yes, it will POST. I am assuming that you are using the VGA output from the motherboard HD 4000 graphics. If no PCIe card is installed then the system will look for the next available graphics system which will be the HD4000 graphics. When you do decide to install the discrete graphics card, the BIOS will then default to using the PCIe card as the primary graphic card so you will need to move the VGA cable to one of the outputs coming out of the graphics card. Does your monitor have an HDMI or DVI input? Or do you need to convert HDMI or DVI to VGA to connect to your monitor? If so, then you may need to get an adaptor.
August 25, 2012 1:26:16 PM

JKatwyopc said:
Yes, it will POST. I am assuming that you are using the VGA output from the motherboard HD 4000 graphics. If no PCIe card is installed then the system will look for the next available graphics system which will be the HD4000 graphics. When you do decide to install the discrete graphics card, the BIOS will then default to using the PCIe card as the primary graphic card so you will need to move the VGA cable to one of the outputs coming out of the graphics card. Does your monitor have an HDMI or DVI input? Or do you need to convert HDMI or DVI to VGA to connect to your monitor? If so, then you may need to get an adaptor.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:26:40 PM

Best answer selected by sblake.
m
l
!