Computer booting problems

bakfromoblivion

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Ok im new to these forums so please be gentle :D .

My computer has not been booting properly for the past 3 months, when you press the power button the CPU turns on but the monitor goes back to sleep and the CPU makes a continuous "humming sound", this can be resolved by leaving it be for some time and restarting with the CPU's power button. But i don't like to do this and i also have problems with games and videos in full screen, the screen freezes and the last bit of sound is played in a continuous loop. At this point i have to do a reset with the power button. Im pretty sure the two problems have some kind of relation but i cant find out whats happening. At first i thought it was RAM but my computer passed memtest86+ with no problems. I have decent enough drivers for my graphics card (when i upgraded it the desktop wouldnt start properly so i had to roll back my driver.) Also i have had several varying bluescreen errors when i have booted and at random times the computer restarts itself

Here are the specs of my computer, hope it helps

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, 2500 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.27, 10/06/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 869 MB
Total Virtual Memory 4.11 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.93 GB
Page File Space 2.23 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

help me please, id be glad to post any other information you need

I would suggest one of these: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream-Modular-High-Performance-Compatible/dp/B001EZMEZO/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321762301&sr=1-20. Your original compaq power supply is only 250 watts, just adequate for what you use now. It's probably worn out. I use ocz, and it's very quiet and has performed flawlessly for about a year. Avoid some other cheaper brands that claim higher wattage. You need to look at the 12v rail (in amps), the warranty, and wattage. I've had cheap ps fail in a few days.

Most likely. But motherboards can also fail. There's no definitive test for them, just symptoms. You can test a ps with a voltmeter, but even it's not totally acurate. I suggest a new ps as you can use it in your next system. If the motherboard is bad, you'll probably want to get a new system instead of replacing the board. The weak link is the windows operating system, which is tied to a bios string in the motherboard. Unless you've already upgraded windows, a different brand of motherboard won't load your original compaq windows installation. And a new copy of windows 7 is too expensive; might as well replace the whole system.

You won't need a repair guy. The ps is held in place by four screws on the back. Just gently work all the connections off the drives and make a note of their position. And after you install the replacement and hook up all the connections, be sure the toggle switch on the back is in the - position, not 0.