Motherboard Chipset explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi guys. I want to learn what is a motherboard chipset, for example: Z77 on intel platforms. What does it do, does it affect performance and if yes then how? What makes it better than a P67 chipset?

Solution
Chipsets are the main chips that will soldered onto the board. Each chipset will offer different levels of features, benefits and support for processors. When the motherboard manufacturer builds the board they can add additional features that may not be supported on the native chipset. (i.e. SATA III support on the early “6” series boards could only be had with a Marvell SATA III controller).

So the Z77 chipset will offer support for these features over the P67 chipset.
-Support for the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) including support for Lucid MVP software.
-PCI-E 3.0 support
-Intel® SATA 3.0 controller (later models of the P67 may also have the Intel controller over the earlier Marvell).
-Support for Intel SRT (Smart...
Chipsets are the main chips that will soldered onto the board. Each chipset will offer different levels of features, benefits and support for processors. When the motherboard manufacturer builds the board they can add additional features that may not be supported on the native chipset. (i.e. SATA III support on the early “6” series boards could only be had with a Marvell SATA III controller).

So the Z77 chipset will offer support for these features over the P67 chipset.
-Support for the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) including support for Lucid MVP software.
-PCI-E 3.0 support
-Intel® SATA 3.0 controller (later models of the P67 may also have the Intel controller over the earlier Marvell).
-Support for Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) which will allow you to set a small SSD (<64GB) as a caching drive to boost system performance.
-Native support for 3rd generation Intel™ Core™ processors.

I hope that this clears up some of your questions.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.