New SC2 Focused Build - First Time Builder - Please Help

johnmac609

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
building my first computer. coming form a mac book pro. really I'm looking to build something that can run sc2 at max settings at 100+ fps at 1920 x 1080. other than playing sc2 I'll be listening / converting music, using ms office (some vba in excel), browsing, watching movies. i want everything to load fast, but I'm not willing to pay for a large SSD, check out my solution, let me know what you think.

here's what I've got so far.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- i like the built in small ssd for caching. better idea?

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- good enough for sc2 on MAX @ 100+ fps?

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
- is 650W enough juice?

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
- i think the only difference between this and the i5 2500k is a large cache and hyper threading to 8 cores, would i notice the difference really? it's only 100 bucks and i kind of want to brag about the i7.... i don't want to at least experiment with overclocking either way. tangent: is it worth waiting for the AMD bulldozer? don't get too sidetracked on this, I'm kinda sold on the intel chips anyway.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
- right ram for z68 motherboard? it says "designed for p67 motherboard" but I'm not sure if that matters.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
- standard

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- i think everything will fit... seems like a quality case with good ventillation

ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR
- can you think of a better monitor for the price? this is listed on newegg for 209 hdmi a must, 2ms a must, 1920x1080 or better.

and windows premium 64 bit... and a standard lg cd/dvd drive...

did i miss anything? can you think of a better build for uner $1,500?

Thanks,

Noob

Solution
The motherboard also has ports for front panel USB 2, so if he doesn't want or need USB3 or doesn't like the Storm Enforcer, then there's no problem. If he does want USB 3 and wants to keep the 912 case then there are external 5.25" bay solutions available.

I think the jury is out on the benefits of SSD caching. Especially with small capacity drives.

i think the only difference between this and the i5 2500k is a large cache and hyper threading to 8 cores, would i notice the difference really? it's only 100 bucks and i kind of want to brag about the i7.... i don't want to at least experiment with overclocking either way. tangent: is it worth waiting for the AMD bulldozer? don't get too sidetracked on this, I'm kinda sold on the...
You've got an excellent build going there. The MB is a good choice for trouble free SSD caching. I'm not really a gamer so I don't know whether you'll reach 110 fps with that graphics card. My thinking is that you might want to SLI that card at some point if it doesn't live up to what your hoping. In that case, you'd need a bigger PSU - think like 850 watts. So it might pay to be proactive and get the bigger PSU unit now in anticipation of running SLI in the future.

Case. You have a problem there. Your MB has connectors for front panel USB 3 ports , but the case doesn'yt have any USB 3 ports on it's front panel. I suggest, changing cases to the Cooler Master Storm Enforcer, which is a great case, easy to work in and roomy, and has 2 usb 3 ports on it's front.

The motherboard also has ports for front panel USB 2, so if he doesn't want or need USB3 or doesn't like the Storm Enforcer, then there's no problem. If he does want USB 3 and wants to keep the 912 case then there are external 5.25" bay solutions available.

I think the jury is out on the benefits of SSD caching. Especially with small capacity drives.

i think the only difference between this and the i5 2500k is a large cache and hyper threading to 8 cores, would i notice the difference really? it's only 100 bucks and i kind of want to brag about the i7.... i don't want to at least experiment with overclocking either way. tangent: is it worth waiting for the AMD bulldozer? don't get too sidetracked on this, I'm kinda sold on the intel chips anyway.
About the only thing in your list of uses for this build which I suspect might benefit from hyperthreading is your Excel work, but it's not like the i5-2500K would be slow at that. If it was me, I'd get the i5 and either save the money or spend it elsewhere, possibly going for a nicer case and/or a gold rated PSU.

it says "designed for p67 motherboard" but I'm not sure if that matters.
No it doesn't matter.

Don't get the old original version of that PSU as there is a newer, better version available:
Corsair 650TXV2 80Plus Bronze $100 ($15 rebate, 20% off promo code)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

XFX Pro 650W Core Edition 80Plus Bronze $90 ($10 rebate, $6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014
Uses the same design as the Corsair, just a bit cheaper.

Another alternative:
Antec HCG-620 80Plus Bronze $80 ($3 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048

You can get 1TB drives which are just as quick, if not quicker, than that 750GB WD drive and cheaper:
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Solution
That is a pretty good build.

However I don't like that case.
I have that case and I am about to change it out for another case, because I have not been happy with it for a long time. The cable management is terrible, even with a modular 620W unit, so it will be even harder with a non-modular 750W unit.
The HDD mounting mechanism is fiddly.
It has sharp edges so you are likely to cut yourself on it.
The build quality probably isn't that good.

It does look good tho.