Sign in with
Your question

Can i upgrade ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2011 3:09:04 AM

hello and thanks in advance for your help. i have a dell dimension 5100 P4 3.0 HT with 4 gigs of ram. i know the pc is old but it has done everything i needed to do so am some what attached. what i wanna do but dont know if i can is upgrade the cpu chip to something a little faster if even possible.
and if i can do that can i fit and put an upgraded mobo that i can put more memory and a better cpu chip in ? i use my pc for gaming and video editing now
would like to make it faster if i could. dont know much about mobo and cpus so i need some advice befor buying things that wont work.. thank you

More about : upgrade

November 20, 2011 3:35:35 AM

i just read that this mobo would fit and work in my case INTEL G965 BTX V11V LGA775 MOTHERBOARD.....anyone know if this would work for me ?
m
l
November 20, 2011 3:36:48 AM

In short. No, you can't really upgrade it. The more involved answer is that any money would would sink into upgrading this could be put to a much much much more powerful machine (even a self built cheap computer). Because it is an OEM PC (Dell) the processor upgrade path will be very very limited if it even exists, and you will pay way too much for whatever processor you could drop in there. Second, Dell tends to use non-standard motherboards (Not ATX) so mounting a new motherboard in the case is very likely not possible. Sadly you are going to have to let this computer go if you want a faster machine, there isn't much you can do for it at this point.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 20, 2011 3:47:15 AM

your better off self building a cheap pc like HVDynamo suggested
m
l
November 20, 2011 3:48:51 AM

It looks like that motherboard might fit because it looks like Dell actually did use the BTX format there. However I still don't think it is worth it. That new board does support Core 2 Duo chips which are much faster and dual core, but I would be skeptical as to whether the new board would support anything other than the 65nm Core 2 Duos, which might be hard to find. You are likely going to end up getting refurbished or used parts(which I tend to avoid whenever electronics are involved). You may be able to pull it off, but I still don't recommend it.
m
l
November 20, 2011 4:12:13 AM

HVDynamo said:
It looks like that motherboard might fit because it looks like Dell actually did use the BTX format there. However I still don't think it is worth it. That new board does support Core 2 Duo chips which are much faster and dual core, but I would be skeptical as to whether the new board would support anything other than the 65nm Core 2 Duos, which might be hard to find. You are likely going to end up getting refurbished or used parts(which I tend to avoid whenever electronics are involved). You may be able to pull it off, but I still don't recommend it.

thank you ... i guess am gonna have to build a new one ...
m
l
!