NVIDIA Gforce 8400M GS not support by Win7

Vafaei

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Dear

I installed Win7 in my notebook (Sony VAIO VGN-SZ691N) but i couldn't to find proper display driver to install in my notebook.My notebook display is NVIDIA GForce 8400M and also be noted that i tried to install specified driver for vista but during installation process it mentioned that it can not be support by your operation system.i Would appreciate if you can help me.

Thaks

hardwaretechy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
FYI, most people don't know this but when you buy a laptop/notebook with a pre-installed OS from a manufacturer such as Sony, they will include their own driver package, which you can only get from their website. The actual driver in the package is the same available from the video card's website, except that its install package is made by (in this case, Sony). This proprietary install package is an agreement that most laptop makers have with the video card makers. Unfortunately it prevents the customers from just updating their video drivers like they normally would, you have to instead wait till the manufacturer of the laptop releases a newer build.

So in this case, either Sony has it on their site, or you are SOL. There are programs that allow you to "hack" the install config to allow install of newer drivers, you could try this, I have done it successfully in the past with an ATI mobility card. It will work for Nvidia mobility too.

Did you get the win 7 upgrade through Sony? or did you go out any buy it yourself? If its the latter, then the above is probably whats happening. If its the former, then you should be able to request technical support from Sony.

Korculanac

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Does that apply if you have formatted your drive and installed fresh Copy of Windows 7 64bit (OEM) on Sony Vaio?

Korculanac

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

No.. pretty much all the drivers installed using windows update.. so i should be fine!

The graphis driver needed was the Nvidia Gforce 8400m GT which i found on the Nvidia website... will install on mates computer later on! Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks for your help...

Korculanac

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Just tried the drivers... it says they are not supported. I have done a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate (OEM) on a VGN-FZ35g with Geforce 8400M GT NVidia graphics card installed.. Tried installing the Current Notebook Release 195 WHQL 195.62 December 4, 2009 drivers. All i have is the standard VGA driver showing in the device Manager... Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

You're sure you grabbed this one, right?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winvista_win7_x64_195.62_whql.html

I'll correct my earlier statement by saying that Nvidia has separate drivers (developed in lock-step, and given the same version number) for their discrete graphics cards, and their onboard mobile/notebook graphics chips. Trying to install the driver that supports the discrete cards on a laptop won't work. Likewise, trying to install the mobile driver on a desktop system with a discrete card won't work either.

Korculanac

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Yep.. that is the driver!
It's quite frustrating as the notebook specs can more than handle win 7. Every other driver installed flawlessly except for the Graphics. Would i need to contact Sony?

Korculanac

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

That is for the SZ series, would that work for the FZ model and is it 64bit??

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I have an LG E500 SP13G which has an nvidia 8400m g chipset. For windows 7 64bit I have to use the nvidia driver version 257.21
If I use a newer driver with a version number < 300 the notebook hangs up.

arges86

Distinguished
Does it hang during boot, or during gameplay?
according to nvidia's website, that card should work with version 331.65
Try completely uninstalling your drivers, rebooting the PC, and then install the new drivers
if the issue persists, check event viewer to see if it can offer you any hints as to what is hanging your system