Sign in with
Your question

8800GTX weird problem!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2011 10:17:27 PM

Hello all,

I've been experiencing weird things with this card and I tried a lot of things but still. So, my computer specs are:

Core 2 Extreme X9650 @ 3.0GHz
4GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
900w power supply

I'm on an HDMI Cable with 1080p on a Sony Bravia screen with a resolution of 1920x1080.

The problem started on a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit version, I would play World of Warcraft and then the game would show pixels and weird colors and nearly everything would be glitched, it freezes until I manage to get out of the freezing by alt-tabbing, and when I alt tab I see an error on the tray saying something about the display driver has stopped and has recovered, I had problems with windows 7 and decided to rollback to the good old XP SP2, installed the latest graphic drivers, put it to the lowest settings ever and did everything on low settings and the best performance without having to overwork the graphic card, and now the problem is in windows too! any window would turn into pink and weird graphic glitches would show just as it was in the game, I've monitered the temperatures on idle, it's between 50-58 degrees celcius, and on load somewhere between 58-65 max degrees, this problem hasn't happened before and I really don't know what the problem is HOWEVER, when I turned the resolution to lower like 1280x1024 and turned it back to 1920x1080 the problem seems to be gone, although I'm sure it's gonna come back at a time where I wouldn't really need it to happen (important times). I really need help, even when I'm writing this the screen would turn black and return normal in half a second, it's really doing weird things I'm not sure what's the problem, I've done the following:

I clean my whole case every single week so there is no dust and yet I cleaned it again just to assure, still the same
Installed windows xp, same
Checked PSU power and seems fine
Checked nearly everything to see if the card is faulty and it's running well, no noise no weird things happening there and no overheats
The computer wasn't overclocked and never was overclocked

I mean I've done everything to make sure this problem goes away and it's still there, does it have to do with anything to do with HDMI and high resolutions?

I need your help! Thanks.

More about : 8800gtx weird problem

a c 91 U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 10:26:06 PM

Well, if you were running the card at the monitors native resolution and refresh rate, and you tried pulling the heat sink off the card and re-applying thermal paste and it still does it, I'd say the card is lost.
There are times when you could experience similar problems with a bad cable. I'd run a different HDMI cable or throw on a DVI just to check...... and check the monitor as well.
Sounds like time for an upgrade anyways don't you think ?
June 18, 2011 10:31:15 PM

That's a fairly old card and known to have artifacting problems. I went thru several evga cards like this in the past and just RMA them for replacements.
Related resources
June 19, 2011 7:57:29 AM

Thanks everybody for the replies,

Yeah I think it's about time to upgrade, card is old anyways.

Gonna run the video memory stress test.
June 19, 2011 8:17:34 AM

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[19/06/2011 11:58:31 Õ] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760091)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...OK
[19/06/2011 12:13:53 ã] Pass completed (0 errors found).

The card still looks really NEW, I don't know what's wrong, I don't think it's from the card, It's something to do with shaders, pixels and resolutions, any idea?
June 19, 2011 8:52:50 AM

My 8800GTS 340MB died this year, I was playing Crysis on one of my other desktops and then the terrain became transparent.

I think it's about time for a upgrade, you can get a GTX460 for $180 AUSD (cheaper almost everywhere else) and it's a fantastic last-gen card.
June 19, 2011 9:08:32 AM

Where I live it's triple that price !

I live in Dubai and unfortunately, everything to do with new components for computers seems to be tripled the prices you'd find on eBay and other sites.

I'm still pretty sure the problem is not about the graphic card being faulty, it just happens sometimes not all the time, I noticed whenever the temp goes to 58-60 it starts acting weird, I've read other topics and peole have it at 70-74 at normal temperatures, I got it at 50-60, it's really annoying
June 19, 2011 9:14:21 AM

My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP41-U3DL, what GTX graphic cards would fit it perfectly?

a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 11:39:25 AM

yamajee said:
My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP41-U3DL, what GTX graphic cards would fit it perfectly?

If the prices are high in your area.First try locating a amd 5770 or a nvidia 550 ti.If those are out of your budget try and get a gts 450.
June 19, 2011 12:16:11 PM

I'm going for a 460 GTX, hope it solves the problem though.
June 19, 2011 7:45:12 PM

Problem solved I think, please delete this thread and thanks everybody.
!