System Usage from Most to Least Important: Solidworks, Stock Trading

Parts Not Required:Keyboard, Mouse, Monitors

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: I have no idea what this is, if it helps yes lol

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: In Solidworks I wont be doing any large assemblies, but I may get into simulation and photoview 360 once in a while however time to simulate or render isn't a big deal to me. As far as Stock Trading goes, I think i'm going to have good enough specs everywhere that it's covered, but I would like it to be capable of 4 monitors or even more but i'm only going to hookup 4 right now.
Any help on this subject would be really appreciated, since I've seen topics for solidworks and stock trading seperately but never together. Thanks alot!

August 22, 2011 1:07:37 AM

As per tom's hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc,2969.htm...

$1000 Enthusiast System Components

MSI P67A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel P67 chipset $125
Intel Core i5-2500K $220
Xigmatek Loki SD963 $25
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 GB $55
2 x Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 $340
Western Digital Caviar Black 750 GB $70
LG GH22MS70 22x DVD Burner $20
Xclio Nighthawk $55
Corsair CMPSU-650TX $90
Total Cost $991

Check with someone who who uses ATI cards on configuring them, but aside from that probably upgrade the ram to 8gb and get a copy Window 7 OEM (64-bit Version)

You may consider sub-ing in a pair of workstation cards over these desktop ones. For an extra $20 use a pair of the Quadro FX 580 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2011 1:14:41 AM

Great info been looking up all those parts. One question though, were you assuming I needed 4 monitors still? Because I already have the monitors I'm looking to build the computer between 1000$ and 2000$ by itself so if theres any upgrades that'd be beneficial would be cool? Thanks for the quick reply!
m
l
August 22, 2011 1:21:40 AM

Get the RAM to at least 8Gb then blow as much cash as you want on swapping the graphics cards. I would hope workstation cards would give you a solid advantage for the price, they were recommended in the other forum I read.

Gaming will suffer, but SolidWorks should thank you
m
l
August 22, 2011 2:06:24 AM

Is it possible to combine seperate Graphics cards? How do I know that Solidworks would use my beast Graphics Card vs the cheapo when modeling or rendering etc... Also just for reference I'm not into gaming at all lol, apart from the internet this is gonan be dedicated to solidworks and Trade Station. Thanks guys
m
l
August 22, 2011 2:53:26 AM

You should be able to specify if it does not auto-recognize. That is one of those features you can expect with high end software.
m
l
August 22, 2011 4:01:34 AM

Here is a list of benchmarks for SolidWorks from lots of users with different system configurations. This may help you pick out the best card for that budget.
http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/shareyourscore.htm
For stocks, any good mid-range card will do. Just don't get those sub $100 types because they're too weak to
drive two 1080 monitors. Had a client who wants to run 4 screens and he bought a cheap $50 card.
Hooked it up and that thing because of Win7 as everything now runs in "3D" ( the reason why you get Aero Flip)
that crap card can't even run two screens at 1024x768! Dragging a window from one screen to the next, lagged like hell!
m
l
August 22, 2011 10:07:27 PM

Alright I've been doing some researching and I like that 1000$ and 2000$ builds pretty similar to what I'm looking for besides being based on gaming.
I'll figure out a case later, I just wanna get the meat and potatoes of the build straight.
So if I decide to run an i7-2600k process on a ASrock Z68 LGA 1155 mobo, with 2 Nvidia Quadro FX 580 graphics cards, can i still get by with the 650W power supply mentioned in the 1000$ build or would i have to step it up to 850W?
I wanna get 8 MB of Ram maybe 12 but that's not really important since the board has 4 slots, the memory cards mentioned in the builds are "gaming" as i read are there seperate memory cards oriented towards modeling?
Those are my main questions right now, then everything else I think is pretty straight forward just depending on what drives i want and prolly a 1 TB Harddrive.
Thanks alot guys hopefully can get this hamemred out and order parts this week
m
l
!