Sign in with
Your question

Just upgraded to SLI GTX 580 Lightnings!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2011 2:44:52 AM

I'm so excited to start my new build I just wanted to spread the cheer! I already have the first Lightning ready to go but the second is still in transit. This setup is going to be beastly!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My two GTX 560TI's have been great but I really can't wait to see what these MSI cards can do. The non-reference Lightnings are IMO the best single-gpu cards money can buy at the moment. Can't wait to get benching!
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 3:43:27 AM

How were the $550 worth of twin 560Ti cards (out only two months?) lacking (and in what games), just out of curiosity?
Related resources
a c 539 U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 3:56:00 AM

majin ssj eric said:
The non-reference Lightnings are IMO the best single-gpu cards money can buy at the moment. Can't wait to get benching!

With all the drawbacks of the dual GPU cards, I would go as far as to say that the 580 Lightnings (& 580 SOC's) are the best video cards out there, period. At some point, the aesthetics of gaming with a quiet and cool card trump the performance advantages of the 590/6990. Basically, there's nothing a high-end 580 can't do on a single monitor that would require you to have a 590/6990 instead.
June 19, 2011 5:32:07 AM

mdd1963 said:
How were the $550 worth of twin 560Ti cards (out only two months?) lacking (and in what games), just out of curiosity?

The 560Ti's were not lacking in any way. I just decided that I had the extra cash so why not go with the best? I was able to max out every game I have with the SLI 560's but I like to benchmark and I was getting beat pretty bad by 470's so a change was necessary. Now I look forward to having the upper hand....
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 7:24:02 AM

Forget the benching, get folding!
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 7:29:56 AM

majin ssj eric said:
so why not go with the best?

because you have aboslutely no need of it? because there are much better things you could do with a thousand dollars? oh well, your money
June 19, 2011 9:02:13 AM

Overclocked Toaster said:
because you have aboslutely no need of it? because there are much better things you could do with a thousand dollars? oh well, your money

One day you'll understand "The urge" as I like to call it, once it starts... Oh boy the fun just kicks right in.
Enjoy your new build, it's going to be a monster!
a c 539 U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 8:30:37 PM

After gaming on an AGP (gasp!) system for too many years, when the time came to upgrade there was no question I was going with a $500 best of the best/no compromise video card. Sometime, you just gotta go for it. I'm glad I did.
June 21, 2011 4:36:06 PM

once u get the bug, the GPU bug, theres no reasoning, its a no holds barred kinda thang!!!
!