New bulid ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with i7 Processor

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Intel
Last response: in Motherboards
August 23, 2012 2:13:51 AM

I built a new tower with the following components:

Motherboard:
v ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU:
v Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I72600
CPU Fan:

v COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
RAM:
v G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
Hard Drive:
v Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
v Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
v Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Graphic Card:
v EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Blue Ray Burner:
v LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM
Case:
v COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 230mm front fan, 1x 230mm top fan, 1x 230mm side fan, and 1x 140mm rear fan
Power Supply:
v CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

When I power up the front light on the case the RED LED for CPU and all the fans come on for eight seconds then off for eight seconds
The standby power led on Motherboards solid green.
I'm not even getting it to boot up no signal to monitor which work on other systems.
Seems no input accepted from key board or mouse

Got it all together plug it in and power it up.
The light in front comes on but no BIOS beeps
All the fans in the case come on along with the LED lights
The fan for the Power supply turn on
The fan for the Graphic Card spins up
The fan for the CPU cooling fan turns on
The fan on the motherboard spins when the case fans and red led are off and stops when they come on.
On the motherboard the standby green LED is on
and there is a red LED on for the CPU

So I'm stuck suggestion on where to go from here

More about : bulid asus sabertooth z77 processor

a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 23, 2012 2:27:28 AM

Well chances are (hopefully) you improperly installed the CM Hyper 212 and/or the metal backplate is not insulated and is grounding/shorting the MOBO.

I would remove the CM Hyper 212, look for bent CPU Pins, and try posting with the stock HSF. Now if the stock HSF fails either there's a case standoff shorting or you may have bent a CPU pin, so I'd breadboard and remove the MOBO and place on directly on top of the ASUS cardboard box with a minimal configuration, and if that fails then really look for bent CPU Pins.
m
l
August 23, 2012 2:38:56 AM

Thanks I will try that I will remove the CM Hyper 212 and see if it will post
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 2:44:09 AM

if none of that works then your looking at possibly a dead motherboard i had a similar problem with the same motherboard. The fans were spinning up and the leds on the fan worked but i had a red light on the ram
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 23, 2012 2:53:36 AM

Most of the time a CPU LED is as I described. A bad PSU can cause the same problem, but it's pretty rare with a Corsair PSU ... but it can happen ... my HX850 caused a similar issue.

To test a PSU unplug it of 5+ minutes and see what happens. If you get further then it might be the PSU.

I ASS-U-ME you plugged-in the 8-pin CPU power to the MOBO... ;) 
m
l
August 23, 2012 2:55:35 AM

emperor piehead said:
if none of that works then your looking at possibly a dead motherboard i had a similar problem with the same motherboard. The fans were spinning up and the leds on the fan worked but i had a red light on the ram

The DDR LED is not on just the Standyby LED and the CPU LED.
how did you determine that your Motherboard was dead?
Then what was your end result did you get a new motherboard, and did you get the same one?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 23, 2012 2:58:04 AM

Just so you didn't miss my edit - I ASS-U-ME you plugged-in the 8-pin CPU power to the MOBO...
m
l
August 23, 2012 3:07:19 AM

jaquith said:
Most of the time a CPU LED is as I described. A bad PSU can cause the same problem, but it's pretty rare with a Corsair PSU ... but it can happen ... my HX850 caused a similar issue.

To test a PSU unplug it of 5+ minutes and see what happens. If you get further then it might be the PSU.

I ASS-U-ME you plugged-in the 8-pin CPU power to the MOBO... ;) 

not with the system right now, How ever I plugged in the 24pin from the PSU but did not connect the 8 pin which on the top of the motherboard next to the CPU do you have to have both connections plugged in?
m
l
August 23, 2012 3:10:29 AM

the other two were on a couple minutes later it complety died. i rma and the new one works perfectly fine
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 23, 2012 3:12:44 AM

kh7cp said:
not with the system right now, How ever I plugged in the 24pin from the PSU but did not connect the 8 pin which on the top of the motherboard next to the CPU do you have to have both connections plugged in?

Both the 8-pin (CPU Power) and 24-pin (MOBO Power) must be plugged-in for the MOBO to post (boot).

That's your problem -- no 8-pin!
m
l
August 23, 2012 3:18:41 AM

jaquith said:
Both the 8-pin (CPU Power) and 24-pin (MOBO Power) must be plugged-in for the MOBO to post (boot).

That's your problem -- no 8-pin!

Totally missed that during the bulid I look forward to getting back to the system and connecting the 8 pin and see if that works.
I will let you know as soon as I try it out in an hour or so.
Thanks for the information
m
l
August 23, 2012 5:45:43 AM

plugged in the 8 pin and got to the boot screen. Yeah
no I am getting a CPU Fan error on boot up strange the fan is running and the CPU is nice and cool not sure what the error is or what is causing it.
Once again thanks for the help
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 23, 2012 12:08:39 PM

Okay that's normally a bad fan or you're using the wrong header; bad not in the fact that it's spinning -- it's a signalling problem. You can try the rear exhaust fan.

The fan must be installed in the CPU FAN Header and NOT the CPU OPT Fan Header IF you only have one (1) fan.
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:07:08 PM

I believe that board is for an ivy bridge processor only. i beleive it is the lga1155 socket. Not sure thats your problem, but there might be a compatablility issue or setting in bios.
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:09:57 PM

also on memory using 2 sticks you have to use memory slot 1 and 3. 1 being the memory slot closest to the power plugs.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 24, 2012 2:34:26 PM

The Z77/Z75/etc newer chipsets easily run either the Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU's. I've seen that error/warning plenty. You either need to check the Fan including an RMA or in the BIOS you can select to ignore the CPU Fan assuming the OP used the correct Fan Header in the first place...
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:39:09 PM

In your UEFI bios go to monitor and scroll down till you see CPU Q-Fan control, for me at least with the 212 EVO the fan speed low limit was set to 600RPM when the CPU fan was actually in the 500 RPM range causing it to trip the CPU fan warning.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 25, 2012 10:22:46 PM

If your fan is running @ 500RPM then it's bad. I've seen it's rating '600 - 2000 RPM (PWM) +/- 10%'. And yep ±10% is 540~660RPM the lower end typically won't trigger the notification since if it's operating correctly @ Start-up or Wake the fans more specifically the MOBO's controller will ramp up the speed at those times. Then within a few seconds the CPU @ load from start-up won't be at the lowest PWM settings.

The reason I try to stress this is because IMO it's a really bad idea to Disable the notification. No doubt the CPU will be protected by a Thermal Shutdown, but at least if you know the fan(s) failed then you have time to save before you get an abrupt shutdown.
m
l
August 25, 2012 11:26:54 PM

That's why I said 500 range, if I remember correctly it was the upper range like 570-580 with a low fan speed warning set at 600. Also note that this was when the computer was first started up and in BIOS where there's no load to ramp up fan speed via the default fan profile for the CPU set out of the box. Quick fix was to either change the fan speed warning value or change the fan speed profile since during that initial start up it was enough to trip the error. But on that note my CPU fan runs well within rated specs. This was at least my experience with the Z77 Sabertooth board I have when I first booted it up.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 12:04:46 AM

I'm not arguing, what I'm saying is yes I've seen this before and yes it means the fan that came with the CM is IMO bad and should be replaced.

I've seen this exact issue maybe 5 or 6 times.

The fan should speed up enough @ boot so you don't see this problem.
m
l
!